Saturn Guitars

Curtis P

I was in a pawn shop today, and seen this really really odd looking guitar in there, at first i thought airline, but then i was looking at it more, it appears to be a Saturn, airline shape, kinda, really thin, with the CRAZIEST looking bridge EVER! it has a TOM on it, then it looks like someone made a tremelo for it too! it has a bigsby style bar on it with a big spring under it, the guy would let me plug into an amp so i just played it acousticly, and that tremelo does work (suprisingly) but, for 100 bucks (that i didnt have) i didnt get it, maybe monday if i go back into town i might take another gander at it.

Anyone heard of a Saturn guitar?

This is what it looked like kinda, it wasnt hollow body or anything, i aint sure ont he pickups either, but the neck was made out of mahogany for sure, but a sort of almost telecaster head, it was a really insane looking guitar, dont know how well it would play though....

Curtis

Edit!! forgot to mention, there wasnt a "scratch plate :D " where the pots and jack are on the one i was looking at

Curtis

I just called there tonight and asked if it wass till there (couldnt get a ride) and its still there, i asked if it worked, said yes, it also has a set of humbuckers, and there are 2 push pull pots (kinda) but they dont know what they do :D

so saturday (before go to the girlfriends) i am going to go check it out

Curtis

Pickguard bracket.

Saturn 63 was a series of guitars made by the German company Hopf and was featured in publicity materials for Hamburgs Star Club. The vintage of the one you are looking at is 1950 to 1970ish

Meaning it could be somewhat decent? (we all know that stuff from Germany is good)

Curtis

Here is a little site with a tiny write up on this particular guitar, it is exactly like that, but its not a semi hollow, i dont believe, i cant completly remeber, but this one had a mahogany neck on it, with a telecaster style headstock, not like the one pictured here, but everything else is identicle, the bridge, pickups, jack, everything, so it might be a home made neck with Saturn on it, because the Saturn part dont look stock

Curtis

i looked it up (about halfway down)and i found a hopf saturn 63 selling for $1,795, just a little more than $250! B) also, is it just me, or does the back of the guitar in the link u put up have a picture of a topless woman on it?

shhh, you didnt see anything :D

Curtis, you go buy that guitar NOW. I expected about $600-$800. Still a great deal and profit margin, but even better now that is is worth $1000+. Try to get him down to $75 cash.

will try to, maybe i will trade him even on something

Curtis

If it's not stock, you won't get that price for it; however, I still say pick it up. Pawn shop guitars are funky. If it doesn't play very well, and you're not worried about devaluing it (ie. if it's already worth only... well... $100) you could try your hand at a restoration job at some point in time.

Point being-- go get it!

Greg