Refinishing my Epiphone SG

I'm glad somebody else is working on his Epi, I will be doing surgury on mine as soon as the finish on the strat gets hard enough to rough handle it. It's a LP, and I have much plans for it.unfurtunately it's binded and the choices for complete refinish without completely replacing it are close to none, so it will be a color and configuration of the electronics deal, I see you encounter a DUD your self :D , I have the same with mine, they advertise one thing and when they run out of material... they just use whatever is in the place. on yours the body is suppose to be mahogany and it sure looks like alder tome, on mine the neck is suppose to be mahogany and it's maple with some flame to it, look here atleast it's a plus on my side. How are you going to do the headstock, I think the only diff between the epi and Gibson is the devil ears or horns at the corners. It looks on your pic as if you were cutting the thing square. Any way good job so far, cant wait to se it finish, ...and also, try to get your foot out of the pics!!! B)

yeah I was kinda bummed out to find that the body wasn't mahogany, I tried emailing Gibson for exact details but their response was completely ambiguous; they said my model was from the 80's, 90's OR 2000's (gee thanks :D ) and it could be mahogany or alder.

but I'm sure it's an older G-400 model because it has the dot inlays on the fretboard.

those are just the slabs I'll be attaching to the headstock after I remove the sides (probably with a belt sander). After gluing them on, I'll draw on the new design and reshape it.

I dunno, the epiphone headstock shape just bothers me for some reason, no one's going to see it or anything or make fun of me for not having a gibson, i just dont like how slim it looks.

so so so so so so so so so jellus of those guitar litch. Man its my dream to get a gibson LP but in Los Angeles they are at min. 1000 for a used sometimes. Well I makeing my kit right now. If i get the didgital camera for camp this week ill put up my progress on the paint job and re filling the fiber glass top finish. Why im saying this is because it is a LP. Man i love LPs

The LP is a cheapy made by a company called "Kona" I got it off ebay about a year ago for $160 new. I dont think the guy who was distributing them on there sells them anymore. It's not half bad... I'd say the quality is as good as the Epiphone.

The contour of the body is a little weird, it's sort of a pronounced "hump" that's flat on top. heh.

oh yeah and it had THE WORST stock tuners I've ever encountered

IMG_0778.jpg

OK, here's my step by step guide to stripping:

1: go buy the nastiest stripper you can find <-- the more warnings on the label, the better

2: put it on thick

3: wait

4: scrape

5: sand like crazy

That's the kind of answer I was expecting but I had the serial # and include it on the e-mail so he couldn't say that it was an old guuitar, it's a 2000, so their reply was that when they run out of material they use what ever they have in the factory, bummer the neck wasn't shape like the SG, I love slim necks, and I plan on getting an used SG and doing the same thing, I'm tired of the manufacturers (Gibson/Epi) always giving the same old colors, Epi have a few new stuff but I don't want another LP, make mine SG or Explorer... Keep us posted of progress.

That's the kind of answer I was expecting but I had the serial # and include it on the e-mail so he couldn't say that it was an old guuitar

I got this guitar off of ebay and there was no Serial Number on it anywhere, only "Made in Korea" on the back of the headstock.

and I dont know about Epiphone's quality standards, I saw a thread on some other forum where someone uncovered that the laminate on top of theirs was actually some kind of dense cardboard :D

I was going nuts trying to find a cheap SG that I liked. The proportions on most of the knock-offs I looked at just looked off, the bridge seemed too close to the back of the guitar

I'm in love with SGs, so if this one goes well, for my next project I'll try just building an SG body and I"ll buy a warmoth neck for it... I'm thinking string thru body and maybe a transparent black finish... we'll see.

I'll update my progress as soon as I get more done...

I have this problem where my interest sometimes comes and goes on projects like these, so I work in spurts

I dont know about Epiphone's quality standards, I saw a thread on some other forum where someone uncovered that the laminate on top of theirs was actually some kind of dense cardboard 

:D That was just a rip off model only sold in korea for almost no $$,

Jim "epi" rosenberg made an anouncement that epiphone had nothing to do with the incident!

I'm a happy owner of an epiphone and never had any problems so far and it shure weights to much to be made outof cardboard

Yes, I will go to say that for the price they are good instruments. And the top on my LP is a very thin veneer, thats why I plan on doing a solid finish, unless when I sand it I find a sorprise like the neck. And "(I'm not saying this)", the reason why your EPI didn't had a serial # are bogus, didn't it burned in your hands when you got it??? They all have the S# in the headstock... the only reason people erase it is either to refinish, like you did, or to hide something. Or they just don't like to see numbers!

Any way, I like them and I'm sure they are people out there that can say the same...

go buy the nastiest stripper you can find <-- the more warnings on the label, the better

We have some nasty strippers downtown...I stay away from them :-)

Sorry I had to get that out of my system....anyway

There is sites that have a lot of information on gibsons and epi's and the changes between generations and how to read the numbers...I have a newer one...it's got the smaller Pickguard and PU covers (when it was stock at least) and the trapezoid inlays...it could be a g-310???

• 1 year later...