Tiger Completed

I've completed the Tiger guitar and am really enjoying playing it. I've been getting pretty lucky lately that I haven't had a dud in terms of sound/feel. I don't know if it's the all maple construction or something else but when I use my sustainiac on it, I have to turn all of the settings down quite a bit compared to my other guitars. It was a bit of a learning experience but here it is at last:

- 14 inch radius birdseye maple fretboard (nicely figured :D )

- 22 frets ("normal" jumbo / wide)

- Scalloped fretbrd from 19 up

- lightly figured birdseye maple neck

- hard maple body (modified strat style)

- Schaller Floyd w/ top mounted locking nut

- EMG 81

- EMG VMC (with cheesey knobs soon to be replaced with better ones)

- Pain in the butt paint job with Nitro clear

TigerFinal1sml.jpg

TigerFinal2sml.jpg

TigerFinal3sml.jpg

Thanks, it actually does sound very good. I wish I could take credit for it but it just happens to sound they way it looks like it should. Maybe it's the maple, maybe it's the combination of all of the components, maybe a little luck thrown in? It rocks. I plan to snag some recording software soon.

Edward Van Halen, LOOK the HELL OUT! B)

That's really beautiful Dave, gorgeous even.

The only nit-picky thing I'd add is the over-large headstock, it doesn't quite 'go' with the Metal look, but I'm sure you wanted it there or it wouldn't be there.

Besides that, it's a beautiful neck, I love Birdseye necks.

Score?

:DB):D:D:D

Looks awesome!

One thing, and its not a bad thing, just a question...

is the body shape a bit elongated with smaller horns than the strat/superstrat style shape?

It just looks like its still as long as (super)strat but has more bulk and smaller horns?

Anyway, just want to know if that was a deliberate thing

Good job, very awesome looking guitar! I love the fretboard! :D

Thanks for the comments.

The body shape comes from the Dan Erlewine plans that come with his video but I modified the lower horn to allow more access to the upper frets. I think I stuck to his drawing for the rest of the body - I think. It's been a while since I did the wood working on this one.

Does anyone here use the "normal" jumbo frets or do you guys prefer the XJ frets instead? I tried them on this guitar just to see if I like them and I think I do. I wasn't sure at first but now I'm thinking that I may use them more often.

I'd really like to share how it sounds with you. If I can find some recording software that I like and find the time to get setup, I'll throw something together. I don't know exactly what makes it sound so good - maybe the all maple construction - maybe not? It's got me interested enough to build another all maple guitar.

Thanks again to everyone at projectguitar - aint this a kick-butt web site?

The body outline comes from the Dan Erlewine drawing that I mentioned above. I made the change to the lower horn for the upper fret access. That link doesn't work for me though - I'd be interested to see what it looks like.

I didn't scallop beyond the 19th fret because I have never played on a scalloped neck before and wasn't sure if I'd like it or not. Scalloping 19 - 22 seemed like a pretty safe thing to do.

i bought a bunch of the huge jumbos(the biggest stewmac carries) thinking that it was what all the major manufacturers used,but i was wrong....i don't think i like them because i am too heavy handed...and it is hard for me to develop a light touch with what i do for a living

plus it seems harder to slide down the neck fluidly

....i don't think i like them because i am too heavy handed

I think I have the same problem with the XJ frets - the frets on this one are the #149 stewmac frets. I think I might try one size taller next time but I am starting to like the 149's very much. The main reason I picked them was to "cheat" and make it easier to do those fast runs. Actually, for me, the XJ frets don't slow me down enough to justify going smaller.

I really like that guitar! I loved that guitar when George Lynch played it.

Thanks Jehle - he's actually using it as his main guitar now. I saw him on tour and at a clinic and he's using his tiger and his "Bones" guitars only. The tiger gets used much more often than the bones guitar though. I talked very briefly with him at the clinic and he seems very interested in guitar construction.

Very cool, well done.

Wes, are you saying the stewmac jumbo is TOO big??

it is freaking huge....bigger than what esp or ibanez uses...

I find im leaning towards smaller wire these days. I prefer jumbos that have been worn out... relic'd even!

yeah me too...i love the gibson wire