Neck shape

Alright dudes,

I was round at one of my mates houses last week, looking at a few of the resonators he built before they went off for sale. They're off to the resonator centre in London if anyone knows it!

Anyway, the necks he made were a bit funky to say the least. Rather than he normal radius they were sort of triangular cross section (with rounded corners). At first I thought "errrrr" but then after playing (the only 2 riffs that I know) my reaction turned to "B) ".

Apparently they used to make necks like that back in the good old days (especially on resonators) and I think they're especially good for slide guitar (or altleast they seem to be when he's playing it, he's been playing for about twice as long as I've been alive). Has anyone else got experience with necks like this. I'm thinking about making my next electric with one and giving it a go. Good idea?

Kaj

PS If anyone fancies having a look at a few of his guitars, they will be featured in Guitarist magazine soon. He took a few down to one of his customers (who's name I can't remember but apperently is very good - which is why I suppose he's going to be in Guitarist mag :D ) who had his pictures taken with a couple of the guitars. They're called Delta guitars and they're lovely.

The Eric Clapton signature Fender Strat has a 'v' neck profile. Is that what your refering to? :D

I dunno, but it sounds like the same thing. I only played on it for a few minutes but found that my hand fitted around the neck perfectly. I'm not sure though if it had quite alot to do with the fact that the neck was on an acoustic and as therefore fatter.

Either way, I quite liked it so I mght experiment a little when I get time.......

.......INFACT........ I haven't finished the neck of the polished-turd-ocaster so I might see if it's possible to sand the edges off that B)

I wonder why they'd be particularly suited to resonator guitars?

If it's a 'v' like on the Clapton strat, I like that type of neck. My dad's old Fender acoustic (piece o' crap, but it's holding up!) has a v-profile neck, and I really like the way it feels in the hand.

Yeah were talking about the back of the neck. I only thought that because he said that they were especially comfortable when he was playing slide. Dunno maybe just his preference, but I certainly thought it was comfortable.

Quite a few resonators have completely square necks! Purely for playing with a steel or bottleneck I believe.

I thought that was for a lapsteel type of thingy where you lay them down on a table :D

Suppose I might just attack the strat neck I've got and have a little experiment