blood red stain

this is gonna be a really odd question, but a client of mine, as part of his graphics, want his own blood to be mixed into a stain to dye the tips of a bat's fangs red.

first question: is this possible?

second question: if so, does anyone know what the right amount or proper mixture procedures are? i've never done this, and though i don't mind trying, i really would like to get the most out of the resource he gives me so i don't have to go back and be like, "dude...i need more blood..."

sry for the sheer oddness of this question, but it has actually come up and i don't have any idea how to handle this...

and for the love of god wear gloves :D

as i said, i don't mind trying it at all, but that doesn't mean i'm gonna be an idiot about it...

I know nothing about how blood would act as a pigment in a binder; however I suspect that it will discolour, as the bright redness of blood is pretty much a temporary illusion at best.

There's one way to find out... use your own as an experiment! :D

Greg

dude, i remember seeing a film in which they traded a really old red violin which was painted with the blood from the luthier's lover.

about the decoloration of the blood, could it make a difference if it was mixed with some kind of spirit, like the ones used to put reptiles in jars?

i'll try to look for the name of the film.

it's called The Red Violin, had Samuel L. Jackson in it. great movie. i think that might be where this guy got the idea, actually.

this is gonna be a really odd question, but a client of mine, as part of his graphics, want his own blood to be mixed into a stain to dye the tips of a bat's fangs red.

first question: is this possible?

second question: if so, does anyone know what the right amount or proper mixture procedures are? i've never done this, and though i don't mind trying, i really would like to get the most out of the resource he gives me so i don't have to go back and be like, "dude...i need more blood..."

sry for the sheer oddness of this question, but it has actually come up and i don't have any idea how to handle this...

that is SOOOO done,man :D

^^ i was going to say, why don't you email darren at ATD about it. He might know a little bit about how the blood reacts and stuff.

Other wise, i would just use regular red stain and just tell him that I mixed the blood in with it :D

Test it with what? I hate to think what Nitro or Poly will do to blood, chemically speaking.

My 2 cents: Charge the guy a boat load of money to test & develop this paint. Find out how serious is this way. Do not apply the R&D to the final product. Treat this like the business it ought to be. If he says no, he is a cheap SOB anyways. Drop him like a hot soldering iron.

Guitar Ed

Opinions are like @@sholes. And I just showed you mine.

ibanez did that for Steve Vai,and if i remember correctly in the article i read they only used a small of blood.Maybe you should ask Mikey @vai.com he should be able to give you some details

My 2 cents: Charge the guy a boat load of money to test & develop this paint. Find out how serious is this way. Do not apply the R&D to the final product. Treat this like the business it ought to be. If he says no, he is a cheap SOB anyways. Drop him like a hot soldering iron.

i'm already charging $400 plus the cost of supplies...tee hee. i love taking advantage of rich people. i'm doing more than just the finish, granted. i designed some fun electronics for him (if you check the electronic section, you'll see mine and another member's convo about a high cut/no cut circuit) and i'm doing a bat inlay on the 12 fret and pulling all the other ones, putting black pearl pearl in place.

as for the dropping him, can't really do that...'cause he's a: in my band and b: one of my better friends. i might tell him i mixed in his blood without actually doing it. i tried a couple different mixtures using my own tonight, gonna let 'em dry on a piece of maple and then check 'em in a week, month, and then however much time i have after that until i get to the finish (doing that last). seeing how those turn out, then deciding how i'm gonna handle it.

Blood dries a brown to black color ..It may also depend on if the blood is coming or going to the lungs....the oxygen in the blood would likely affect it....that is speculation though....

Further speculation....If you were able to do this and seal it in a vacuum it'd likely work out for you...

but I'd go with the mix a little blood in...as long as it doesn't have some awful reaction to the paint it should be good...

here's some more speculation....Mixing it with a clear would probably work...if you had the right blood to clear ratio it hopefully would keep it in suspension and also not let it dry out???

I don't imagine (all speculation here) that the various components that make up blood and/or keep oxygenated blood a nice red colour would hold up to much sunlight, even if the suspension worked out. Not being an expert, I couldn't possibly imagine blood into a clear would be colourfast. I would say you'll have to end up mixing it with red.

Although, if it was clearcoated with highly UV-resistant coat, you never know.

Greg

Why not just mix a few drops of blood into some water-based or alcohol-based red dye (aniline or metal acid)? It keeps you from having to mislead your friend, and eliminates the hassles of trying make a blood stain light-fast. I have bled on enough different surfaces over the years to be almost certain that a bloodstain won't stay red, regardless. :D

• 4 weeks later...
Blood dries a brown to black color ..It may also depend on if the blood is coming or going to the lungs....the oxygen in the blood would likely affect it....that is speculation though....

Further speculation....If you were able to do this and seal it in a vacuum it'd likely work out for you...

but I'd go with the mix a little blood in...as long as it doesn't have some awful reaction to the paint it should be good...

here's some more speculation....Mixing it with a clear would probably work...if you had the right blood to clear ratio it hopefully would keep it in suspension and also not let it dry out???

J has it right, the red blood cells will break apart (hemolyze) when mixed with ANYTHING other than 0.9% NaCl solution. the free hemoglobin will denature and end up a dark brick-red (if you're lucky) but most likely a turd brown color. It's not a feasable project, tell him if he wants a blood color, you have to use a red colored paint.

I've been a Medical Technologist for 12 years, I've seen more old, dried blood than any of you will see in your lifetime (unless you work in a slaughterhouse!!!! :D )