Trick for routing control cavities?

Hi!

Usually I route a control cavity about 2mm deep and then use a bigger bearing above the router bit in order to route the cavity to full depth, so that a 2mm lip stays arround the cavity which is then used to mount a plate for closing the cavity.

This time I had to increase the size of a cavity as I made a stupid mistake. Now I have a 15mm deep cavity with quite the complex shape. Is it somehow possible to route a lip arround the cavity WITHOUT making an extra router template that is 2mm bigger then the real cavity?

Thanks in advance,

Marcel Knapp!

Just make some little wooden dowel posts to hold the screws. You don't really need a lip going around the whole top to hold it.

Or make some little 'wings' and glue them onto the sides as lips to take the screws.

That's the cheap, quick, and easy way to rebound from the booboo.

Thanks for the answers!

That's the cheap, quick, and easy way to rebound from the booboo.

Yep thats the way I would usually do it. But this cavity will get a plexiglass cover so the craftmanship behind it has to look top notch!

@Krazyderek: I don't get you here....I think your method is only possible if you first route the bigger cavity and then the lip with a bigger bearing....do I get you right?

Greets,

MK!