Been a while... baritone build

Clean and remove any oils before glueing, make sure tools are sharp, because it is a bit splintery. Don't recall if it is eager to separate along the grain as easy as zebrano, from what I recall it is definitely a bit more sturdy (and heavy!).

Will say that it is almost a waste to use it on the back, it is very nice. An alternative would be to use a dark veneer on the back.

• Like 1

Got the wenge from the clasps of UPS finally. Planed it to 35mm. Will need to be weight relieved I think.

Very pretty wood. Seems quite similar to padauk to work with, meaning bit of a pain but nothing impossible. Chips out to large grain sawdust on the planer.

20240716_080240.jpg

Anybody have ideas how to fix the problem with my planer/thicknesser btw. Like you can see on the pic it always takes a deeper chunk at the end of the board. That part will be sanded away for heel access so it doesn't matter but it's annoying. It's the Bernardo TH330 if that makes a difference.

21 minutes ago, nakedzen said:

Anybody have ideas how to fix the problem with my planer/thicknesser btw. Like you can see on the pic it always takes a deeper chunk at the end of the board.

Can't tell if it's brand specific, the one we have at the workshop does the same. It's old and green and I would remember if it had a human name like Bernardo. Siemens, perhaps? Doesn't matter.

Anyhow, it has something to do with how the transporting system grabs the board, it makes the front jump or rather tilt a bit until the board levels again. One workaround is to attach the workpiece on another board with a sacrifical piece in front. A conveyor belt similar to what's commonly used on sander thicknessers might prevent the front bite. Then again we've learned to use the extra piece method with the sander as well, especially with thin boards like the sides of an acoustic.

• Like 1

Good find! As far as I could see the issue here wasn't chewing the front end of the board, only the rear so it doesn't help with our planer but if yours did that sort of sniping and your planer is similar enough with that or the others shown in the suggestions then it's an easy fix.

Our planer is a bit bigger, a cube about 1 m3 with a motorized cast iron table that's about 10 cm (4") thick - weight relieved from the underside of course. Also the tables are inside the planer instead of protruding so tapping them one direction or another is not an option. Not adjustable by us users, don't know if there's anyone among the town carpenters that can perform such maintenance tasks.

• Like 1

Hopefully you can adjust it so that it doesn’t snipe that much. However sometimes it can’t all be adjusted out or sniping may happen even if the thicknesser is in good shape.

Best way to avoid sniping is to not avoid it at all. I always try to have extra material on my work piece that can be cut off once the he piece is thicknessed. In your case that may not be possible so try to support the piece and run it into the machine as parallel as possible.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, nakedzen said:

testing if Schaller Davinci's fit on the headstock.

Now that was a clever move!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

Now that was a clever move!

I always print out the bridge and tuners before ordering. It takes weeks to arrive too, so I can get ahead while I wait for the snail mail. :D

Test fit. Today's plan, wind the pickup coils and wax pot them.

20240725_211641.thumb.jpg.4990eb64ede9d445a51e572994be6eb6.jpg

24 minutes ago, nakedzen said:

I always print out the bridge and tuners before ordering. It takes weeks to arrive too, so I can get ahead while I wait for the snail mail. :D

Always a good strategy, but please keep in mind the classical user-grade printer (hell, even in most copy-shops) is far from 1:1, even with the "print actual size" mode enabled. Double check everything, and don't ask me how I know...

Looking good though! What winder do you have? A store bought or DIY one?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Asdrael said:

Always a good strategy, but please keep in mind the classical user-grade printer (hell, even in most copy-shops) is far from 1:1, even with the "print actual size" mode enabled. Double check everything, and don't ask me how I know...

Looking good though! What winder do you have? A store bought or DIY one?

Yeah of course, calipers are your friend as always. I've printed enough scrap paper when the printer decides to auto-select the "scale oversized pages" making everything 0.5mm smaller. :D

I use a DIY winder I made from parts off amazon for now. Didn't see the point in paying 800 for something that costs 60 euros to build yourself!