Hello all, first build here

Interesting that they list them. The silicone bit is always a worry. That's something you never want around instruments! Silicone will be what makes it slippery. Beeswax keeps forever and preserves/stabilises other waxes and oils in the blend. Carnauba is for durability and hardness. If you fancy making your own (silicone-free) version, you should be able to acquire buttons of Carnauba and sticks of beeswax pretty cheaply. Turpentine is a good solvent for blending them, however that may react with the Tru-oil. Not sure.

Someone else may correct me, but I believe silicone is not recommended for wood as it makes subsequent refinishing or gluing problematic - the silicone remains within the fibres of the wood and prevents reliable adhesion of glues and finishes. If you have no intention of ever refinishing the instrument it's probably OK, but if you ever need to do repairs or modifications it may create difficulties later on.

Oh no, don't go doing anything else to your neck. Simply, silicone contaminates everything in sight. If you finish/refinish guitars regularly, silicone contamination causes fish eyes in your finish and other problems. It's useful stuff (great for lubricating the ways on machine tools) but it's an invisible risk to work. In general it's a good idea not to have it around. Being an invisible thing, you don't know it's there until a problem crops up. It's like having a pet dish of listeria in your kitchen.

Totally. Silicone is highly slippery and unreactive so it just sits there like a siloxane claymore. In many respects its properties are very similar to HDPE or other slippery long-chain polymer plastics. That's entirely why I used it for the luminescent inlay moulds. You could even use silicone spray to lubricate the moulds to make them even easier to demould. Not that I would want more silicone in my life thank you.

Well, it's not a bad product by any means. Simply take super care when and where you apply it. Siloxanes (silicones) are in everything from hair conditioner to waxes like these. If you're ever going to do finishing, having a firm rein on where they go and what they contaminate is all. My friend used spray silicone lube to make the ways run smoothly on his expanding leaf table last year. He didn't realise just how far that overspray went....for several months the workshop floor was like a skating rink near the pin router. We never did manage to get it completely cleaned off....it ended up being easier to abandon the area. :blink:

well I started polishing today, next is to finish the neck by fret leveling and gluing the nut (I may need to shim the nut but thought I would wait till after I fret level) then its doing the electronics. it feels weird to be getting to the finish line. I started this ‎August‎ ‎03‎, and I feel like it should not take me near as long on my next one. (a funk bass, but idk when I will get to start it)

well after a few days of playing it I could not be more happy with it :) it has the sound and sustain I want and the 2 preamps are better then I thought they would be.

thanks for the help, I know I can do much better now and when I get the cash I will start my bass.

edit: why is that smiley face so big? lol all I did was type : )

Edited by kavar57