New member, first build!

Greetings all,

Only technically new... I've been lurking here for years, imbibing as much info as I can! Finally decided to take the plunge, currently planning and acquiring materials for my first project. It's going to be pretty simple and no-frills, I figure it's best not to do too much too early...

Specs:

3 piece bound sapele body, BCR Beast shape

Bubinga neck, 13 degree headstock pitch, Wizard-style contour

Ebony fretboard, no inlays

TOM/string-thru

2 hum, probably three-way switch and vol/tone/tone... seriously considering a pair of SD Black Winters

Solid black finish

Most uncertainties are currently cosmetic... gloss or flat black finish, chrome hardware to break up the blackness a bit or black hardware to enhance the bleakness, etc. Not sure on fretboard radius yet... looks like this is shaping up to be a bit of a black metal machine, so leaning towards a more chord-friendly radius, but then I do like a nice low action... also wondering on how best to determine straplock placement for optimal balance, but that comes a little later!

Any input gratefully received, hopefully getting a start soon!

Let me be the first to welcome you to the asylum. My advice to you would be to think every step very carefuly and respect the tools. Don't work too tired that's when accidents happen. Have fun with your build, there are lots of great people here that will make sure you end up with a great guitar.

Edited by crazygtr

The Beast is a pretty full on shape for a initial build.

I've owned a beast, very uncomfortable shape to play, so bad in fact, that the guy who designed it (Hoffman) re designed it with Neal Moser to make it more playable

So my initial advice is to check out Neal Moser guitars and base your build on the re design.

On a side note, the re design was canned due to BCR placing cease desist court orders on it, claiming the Beast to be their design, even though they stole it from Hoffman in the first place after he asked them to make him ONE, then they started getting them made in Korea as their own design.

Good luck with the build and welcome to the forum

The Beast is a pretty full on shape for a initial build.

I've owned a beast, very uncomfortable shape to play, so bad in fact, that the guy who designed it (Hoffman) re designed it with Neal Moser to make it more playable

So my initial advice is to check out Neal Moser guitars and base your build on the re design.

On a side note, the re design was canned due to BCR placing cease desist court orders on it, claiming the Beast to be their design, even though they stole it from Hoffman in the first place after he asked them to make him ONE, then they started getting them made in Korea as their own design.

Good luck with the build and welcome to the forum