Kea's Guitar Build Thread

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks outstanding sir, almost looks blue on my computer now. Is it fading out a little? I love it, wouldn't mind jamming on that thing!

Thanks guys.

Bob,

It isnt fading at all. It looks blue because i took the pictures after the sun was off the grass, in full shadow. So the color is a bit deceiving.

That looks outstanding sir, almost looks blue on my computer now. Is it fading out a little? I love it, wouldn't mind jamming on that thing!

Thanks guys.

Bob,

It isnt fading at all. It looks blue because i took the pictures after the sun was off the grass, in full shadow. So the color is a bit deceiving.

Blue, black, gray, whatever, I love whatever it is :D haha I love ash stained black, always appealing finish for me.

Ah! My eyes... Im color deficient so its blue for me. I LOVE that color!!!! I can't get over it haha, what did you use to stain it? The ONLY way that guitar would be any cooler for me is if it had a blood wood or leopard wood fretboard (not that what you have isn't nice or anything lol)

Thanks guys. Its cool when a guitar comes out just like you picture it in your head!

Bob, Again, it ends up looking blue in the pictures without sunlight directly on it.

The paduak fretboard is pretty much the same exact color as bloodwood, except bloodwood can be a little more pale sometimes.

Thanks guys. Its cool when a guitar comes out just like you picture it in your head!

Bob, Again, it ends up looking blue in the pictures without sunlight directly on it.

The paduak fretboard is pretty much the same exact color as bloodwood, except bloodwood can be a little more pale sometimes.

Apparently i need better pictures sir :P

• 2 weeks later...

Been working on guitars non stop for hours each day. and still i have gotten nowhere. I dont know how that works. It gets really frustrating.

Since i had problems with 3 out of 4 guitars, i have been trying to get the finishes right on 2 of them. Isnt going to well.

I got the redwood burl pretty much perfect, and sprayed the top one last time. Sprayed really great, and i started wet sanding it.

I am still getting these strange areas that have a weird reaction. I have never seen it in my life, and i got it on 2 different guitars with 2 different finishes. So this one is just going to sit there forever. I cant get it to work.

I dont know how to explain it. I has 3 coats of sealer on it and 3 coats of poly clear on it. There are 2 spots where it just has a weird texture and it gums up sandpaper and rolls off, like it was sprayed onto something incompatible. But it doesnt make sense, it wasnt there when i sprayed sealer, or after is sprayed the clear. Only happened once i sanded it. And i didnt even come close to sanding through, there is still plenty of finish there.

I've had paint go weird on me before, such as a white 2k crazing in one patch when clearing over and nowhere else. All I can think of is that perhaps the usage tolerances on the product are super-tight? I know some can get that way, however I am sure that Allan is the man to ask on this one. Far more experience than my limited knowledge of paint. Mine extends to knowing how much I don't know.

It is strange, like i said, these are 2 completely different finishes, 2 different guitars, different woods. i have used one of those finishes for over 6 years, and never had anything like this happen.

I got it to come out decent. but if you look at it just right, you can still see the blems.

Well you know me - I love the logical approach to figuring an issue out. I genuinely get the impression with some paints that the factors you need to control are obscure and unhelpful, such as the number of babies within a kilometre radius or that you need to give the paint five minutes alone with a goat and a fire extinguisher otherwise it never sets up. You know what I mean.

It is strange, like i said, these are 2 completely different finishes, 2 different guitars, different woods. i have used one of those finishes for over 6 years, and never had anything like this happen.

I got it to come out decent. but if you look at it just right, you can still see the blems.

If you look at it just right, you can still see the blems, but probably not anybody else will ever find them.

We are our own harshest critics (many of us anyway), and once we see something, it is terribly hard to unsee it.

SR

Being self-critical is a crucial part of self-development which Luis is obviously doing. His level of work has grown considerably. Like my Muay Thai teacher always told me, "you are only as good as your last fight". Perfect. No matter how many good guitars you put out, letting one out of the door with a flaw becomes representative of what you consider your work standard to be. Never being satisfied will allow Luis to continue growing.

I agree - being self critical is a good thing & yes he has improved 10 fold & he was good to start with. I also agree with your analogy, critics only remember bad reviews. But being self-critical for the sake of it is self-defeating.

Constructive criticism is a good thing. Stand back & say "It's good - but how could I make it better" don't look at it and judge it as bad - because we can all see it's not - unless your pics are Photoshop'd.

I used to be an athlete at school & guys who just got a PB slated themselves saying they could have done better.