Laminate Neck As A "one Peice"

bob123

The only issue will be in the cutting as the different woods will take to a blade in their own way... other than that it should look great..... make certain the woods are well acclimated to the same humidity before laminating them and that they have ample time to acclimate after the glueing process, you should be just fine

I agree with lightninmike. Acclimation is the key. Make sure they're totally dry and stable and you should have minimal movement. The hard part is going to be sanding, as the woods will likely wear away at different rates.

Ah, I've actually never seen this done, apart from some fancy wood-in-wood inlays... If you guys can throw me a picture or two, that'd be terrific. (google is mostly failing me!)

The wood/wood occlusions wouldn't be too bad for my ideas, I wouldnt think, but the wear rate being different would mean I would need to be extra careful doing the radius, for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, look at necks that use softer woods such as say most Gibsons - they don't wear massively so Maple and Mahogany in combination wouldn't have "mismatches in wear" until a LONG way down the line. This whole idea is fine as long as good woods in the correct condition for working are used. No need to overcomplicate the issue with overthinking. That's what I normally do :-D