Searls - My First 8 String

The concept:

27" scale with 24 frets

Maple neckthru

Mahogany body

Rosewood board with double binding

4 a side headstock

Kahler trem

White paint with graphic (copied from artist Michelle Dilecki - with her permission)

White headstock (will be slightly bigger than pictured to accomodate the 8 tuners

conceptguitargfx.jpg

IMG_2113small.jpg

This neck blank used up an extra meter of timber compared to six or sevfen string guitars I build just to make up the thickness.

IMG_2116small.jpg

I've never played an 8 string guitar - this will be my first.

is it going to be for you??

I love how 7 and 8 string guitars look and sound like. Unfortunately, i can't justify to build one for myself. I've already have had 2 and i know those are way too many strings.

But i always drool over them whenever i see them. The Meshuggah M8M is lovely.

This one is step further. It isn't black and it'll have a cool graphic :D

Yes, this ones for me. Just an experiment really. See how the neck feels, suss out the 8 string build process etc

I also always wanted a Nagal guitar and never got my hands on one, I'm going to make this a modern spin on the Nagal gunslingers. More modern guitar styling with a modern version of Nagal influenced art.

I tried a Schecter C8 Hellraiser at a local music store about a month back. I think it had EMG808's. I'm more of a 7-er kind of guy, and while I had a lot of fun noodling on the low F# it wasn't really my cup of tea in the end. My gut feel (with my limited experience of 8's) is you'll want as much clarity out of the pickups as you can get. Low F# with high gain gets mushy really fast. Maybe steer towards medium output pickups and let the amp do the work?

That said, I've been really surprised by how clean the Seymour Duncan Blackouts sound in my last 7 string build. Maybe actives are worth a shot for a change?

I'd actually be curious to try an 8 string with the extra range added above the high-E instead, ie B-E-A-D-G-B-E-A tuned low to high.

This one will be tuned thin G to thick A ... Then see where I go from there.

There's a couple of local bands tuning to A so I just want to check out what the fuss is, then I'll probably retune higher. Guess i'll find out when I get there.

Looks cool, but why would you want a guitar with miley cyrus on it? :D

Not sure how you get her out of that!

For pickups, the EMG 808's sound great in a 8 string. Im not a fan of actives, but they seem to work well on the rg2228.

For over a decade I was an "EMG only" dedicate... however since using pickups of quality (aka Bareknuckles) the EMG's are no longer on the menu.

I wonder how a split coil 8-string pickup would sound....like a P-bass pickup but for an 8-string, sensing four strings per coil....RAD?

I have thought about it. Using a set of P-Bass pickups to build a split HB setup. I also thought about using a 6 string HB and making a 4 string HB from P-Bass coils and running them with all kinds of switching options. It really would work on a Multiscale where the string spacing on the P-bass pup could be lined up with the fan of the frets.

The other idea would be to build some custom bobbins... <wakes up from the G&L split single coil nightmare>

I know that both Lundgren and BKP have valid 8 string HB models they both sound pretty good. I personally just haven't had time to experiment enough with 8 string pickups.

All in all it depends on what you plan to do with the guitar. A P-Bass style setup would produce some really nice clean sounds on the low strings. If you are playing Jazz or something similar where you are playing a bass line with a melody it would probably make an awesome pickup.

For full on metal? Well there is only one real design that works for metal. A PAF style HB.

That would probably be a good solution if a clear but still warm sound is the goal. I made a electric uke and a mandolin using one half of a P-bass pickup each (way before I started to make my own pickups) and that has exactly that. A warmer sound compared to a Strat, slightly sounding like a P90 but not really as "compressed" sounding and with great clarity. And it is possible to wind the two halves different to make adjust for the lower strings.

• 3 weeks later...

I was searching for something else and fstumbld across this thread - I forgot I even started it!

Guess I should update.

I've ditched the idea for the body. I decided it just wasn't me and I've stuck with my superstrat body. I know I'll be happy in the long run.

I'm going to carve the top and ditch the gfx - will be solid white.

Heres some update pics:

543379_279803262101515_122774891137687_648075_60228872_n.jpg

Since this rear pic I've actually carved the neck a bit thinner and taken way more from the heel. It looks better now.

524041_277567938991714_122774891137687_642306_1947838446_n.jpg

Also should mention I bought a new radius beam, the 18" long stew mac one. It's WAY better to use than the shorter ones.

485802_279803208768187_122774891137687_648073_530484482_n.jpg

Radius Beam is great but mine was not wide enough for my 8 String....

Yep... Definitely not wide enough! Hahaha

I finished crowning the frets yesterday after the level. Damn I hate fretwork on an 8 stringer. They hammered in great but all the crowning took ages compared to a 6er

• 2 months later...

Back in April I decided I'd be clever and make a layered template for the marlin, but I screwed it up and routed way too deep:

IMG_2490small.jpg

This guitar has been sitting there taking up space since then, waiting for me to build a router sled to flatten the top.

I've thrown out the template in question and decided I'll just carve by hand from now on. Half the time it's quicker anyway and less chance of scewing up.

Anyway, heres the makeshift sled, built to be used once and cast aside:

IMG_2643small.jpg

I don't use the marlin for much at all anymore. The things I was using it for I worked out better ways.

I reckon it could be because a bought the largest size, then had them upgrade the poles etc to make it even bigger - could be the reason. If it was a small unit it probably wouldn't flex so much.

As for your suggestion of just using a flat board as a template. I've actually tried this in the past. The finished piece looked like someone had got a chunk of pine and hit it all over a thousand times with a hammer. It was flatter than when I started but was still 3D.

I originally bought it for doing necks, but I've ruined more necks with it than what I've made. It just was no good.

I know moser uses his for various things and loves it, but his is older and smaller than mine. The company is owned by different people now, I wonder if the product is not as good?

I've got a bit of maple in the shed that I tried to flatten ages ago like you suggested, I'll take a pic later and post so you can see what I mean.

No mate - I didn't take it that way - I was just trying to explain. I bought it with all sorts of ideas in my head, it let me down in every way.

I was out the shed today and I forgot to take the pics I mentioned. Maybe tomorrow.