Project S9 Continued...

So it doesn't have corners Captain Literal. :P

But it does have edges... and they are only slightly rounded... and they cut through a bit.

I am thinking about a french polish on the burl for the final coat. Doing my research now. It has been a long time since I have used shellac and after all that Everclear I am fuzzy on how to use it.

I wonder if there is a simple way of drawing airborne particles to one side of the room where a simple air scrubber is located, ie. using some kind of electrostatic generator?

You could tie a bunch of balloons to the dog and make him sit on the other side of the garage.

• Like 1

I wonder if there is a simple way of drawing airborne particles to one side of the room where a simple air scrubber is located, ie. using some kind of electrostatic generator?

You could tie a bunch of balloons to the dog and make him sit on the other side of the garage.

It's a crazy plan but it might just work!

</LaForge>

I look forward to seeing a well executed French polish, I've only tried it once myself.

Are you telling me you use Everclear as the alcohol to carry your dye in instead of it's clearly labeled purpose as the main ingredient in purple passion garbage barrel punch? Isn't there a law against that or something?

SR

Everclear is the best thing short of industrial or lab alcohols for French polishing and the like. Plus you can buy a real drink whilst you're stocking up on shop consumables. Don't get that kind of service at our local paint merchants.

We just brewed up a good 25l or so of hot ginger wine to about 20-22%. I guess I could crack it to a good 80-90% with a Liebniz condenser but who wants a shiny piano that smells like chilli and ginger? hahaha

(don't try this at home kids - boiling alcohol is essentially a bomb)

Everclear is the best thing short of industrial or lab alcohols for French polishing and the like. Plus you can buy a real drink whilst you're stocking up on shop consumables. Don't get that kind of service at our local paint merchants.

We just brewed up a good 25l or so of hot ginger wine to about 20-22%. I guess I could crack it to a good 80-90% with a Liebniz condenser but who wants a shiny piano that smells like chilli and ginger? hahaha

(don't try this at home kids - boiling alcohol is essentially a bomb)

Me and Scott are coming to your fjords to drink at your place!

Everclear bombs in hot ginger wine sound awesome.

I look forward to seeing a well executed French polish, I've only tried it once myself.

Are you telling me you use Everclear as the alcohol to carry your dye in instead of it's clearly labeled purpose as the main ingredient in purple passion garbage barrel punch? Isn't there a law against that or something?

SR

We call it PJ here. It is all kinds of fruit, fruit juice, gallons of everclear in a bath tub sized cooler full of ice and serve it in red solo cups. It is high class.

As for using everclear to push dye around ... The warden thinks I only use it for making license plates. ;)

In all actuality I will probably use the everclear for my shellac as well. Makes it 'food safe'. Kidding more than likely I will use denatured alcohol for the shellac. However reading up on it now (Bob Flexner - Understanding wood finish) and I am not sure now is the time to relearn how to cut it.

I am going to do some experiments while the oil is curing and I will let you know how it goes.

Run an ioniser for a couple of hours before hand/overnight - this will charge the dust in the air & cause it to cling to stuff - you can aso get air purifers too that feature Ionisers - my late father used to have one as he had emphesema & my folks bought a combined fan/humidifier/ioniser to keep the air in the house clean as he was prone to chest infections due to his condition.

here's one on amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silent-Ioniser-Purifier-Revitaliser-Freshener/dp/B005EM24Y4 - the one my father had was bigger than this tho'.

• Like 1

Me and Scott are coming to your fjords to drink at your place!

Everclear bombs in hot ginger wine sound awesome.

Hear hear! And fishing in Finland sounds awesome as well.

Rereading Flexner's instructions on French polishing is on my to do list as well....to a different end though. The last time I experimented with it did not leave a perfectly level finish, but I seem to recall all the pores filling nicely. I'm going to go inspect that project and do some more experimenting with an eye towards using it for pore filling. It'll make a decent seal coat too, I expect.

SR

Same here. French polishing is an area I need to visit for when I get my batch of archtops on the go. A lot of my Birch stash has wild curl so maximising the movement through oil or Shellac is a must. Just removed the finish from my Marttiini puukko, soaked it in Linseed oil and finished with paste wax. The flame really moves now whereas under the varnish it was just dead.

Run an ioniser for a couple of hours before hand/overnight - this will charge the dust in the air & cause it to cling to stuff - you can aso get air purifers too that feature Ionisers - my late father used to have one as he had emphesema & my folks bought a combined fan/humidifier/ioniser to keep the air in the house clean as he was prone to chest infections due to his condition.

here's one on amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silent-Ioniser-Purifier-Revitaliser-Freshener/dp/B005EM24Y4 - the one my father had was bigger than this tho'.

Good call. What do you think, RAD?

Have to look into the ionizer. It is not a bad idea but I have been looking at Air filtration units that might remove the need. If I can get something to turn the air in the shop over every 5 - 15 minutes there may be no dust to worry about.

No Fjords! No Fjords! Well I am not wasting time going over there I have lakes and fishing here.

What if we drive to the shore and see some fjords then drive back and fish?

Doesn't need to be a lot of air moved if that's all you want. A 16' square 8' high room is still hobbyist range at that turnover. It might be worthwhile looking at basic air movement around the shop similar to how I optimised the cooling in my desktop PC. Dust movement will no doubt be very similar however this is where my knowledge craps out and intuition kicks in. It gets pretty obvious when crap accumulates where it wants to ;-)

Geologically, Finland is a very young country being only a few hundred thousand years old. About 120k years ago most of this was underwater to the extent of over 100m! The glaciers over the Fennoscandic area in the last ice age depressed the landmass below sea level. The glacial retreat caused a huge isostatic rebound (which continues today) which brought up the area we know as Finland from the seabed. The Baltic went through various stages of flooding/isolation/fill through landmass runoff which left it in the brackish state it is now. Norway has Fjords although technically we have Paarlahti near Tampere which is Fjord-ish and maybe Maaninkajärvi near Kuopio.

Here endeth today's geology and geography lesson. But hey - when we get a boat you are welcome to holiday here during summer and teach us how to fish.

No Fjords in Finland??!!! Obviously not designed by Zlartibartfarst!

But there must be Fjords in Sweden tho' surely? Bjergen Kjergen from Kneurgen near the Joergen Fjords said there was...

Wayne: Hi, uh we're here to see Handsome Dan. My name is Wayne Campbell
Bjergen Kjergen: Yah, I know. We've been expecting you, Vane Campbell. I am Bjergen Kjergen.
Wayne: Wow I love your accent, where are you from?
Bjergen Kjergen: I am from Sveden.
Wayne: Oh really? Whereabouts in Sweden?
Bjergen Kjergen: Kneurgen, near the Joergen Fjords.
Wayne: Well, nice to meet you, Bjergen Kjergen, from Kneurgen, near the Joergen Fjords. Hmm. Kneurgen, that's in the Klargen Province, near the Biburgen River.
Bjergen Kjergen: Yah hah.
Wayne: Now correct me if I'm wrong. Your annual rainfall varies from about 40 inches in the winter to about 200 inches in the summer, and your chief export is modular furniture. I did a report on Sweden in the eighth grade.
Bjergen Kjergen: Well I am impressed with your quest for knowledge. Educated men are rare.
Wayne: It was really hard, I stayed all night on it. Then the next day, in gym class I was on the minitramp and I got diarrhea. I really wish I hadn't told you that.

<_<

Who will bring out the swedish chef while we're still at it? Huh?

No, there are no real fjords in Sweden. There are a few rivers that are named fjords, but alas they're fjords only by name. And to me the "Bjergen" guy seemed much more Norweigan than Swedish to me (name, cities, province etc), except for the modular furnitures. IKEA, biggest export business ever in Sweden and it have produced one of the wealthiest men in the world.

If Finns are racists agains Swedes we counter that with mocking the Norwegians as hard as we can. We have as many mean, funny stories about Norwegians as the English has stories about Scotsmen. We even call the Norwegians (even the women) "baggar" with means "balls" if you get my drift.

Bringing out the Swedish Chef is my speciality, along with "their keyboards have only two keys; 'hurdy' and 'gurdy'". The whole IKEA thing riles me up a treat, especially the bent laminate style of stool stolen from Alvar Aalto. Funnily enough, the original designs Alvar created used wood which was specifically kerfed - much like the lining of an acoustic soundbox - to achieve the bend prior to implementing bent glue laminates.

So there you have it. Add art history to your list which previously ended with "geosciences".

Now you two kill me. But I love the fact we can all agree that the Norwegians are baggars. <Did I even use that right?>

I am not sure the Swedish chef can be brought up as a real insult because he was created by Frank Oz an Englishman with Dutch/Polish/Jewish parents and he had nothing to do with the Nordic. Plus the Swedish Chef was a muppet and we all respect muppets. I know plenty of talking heads and the people who pull their strings.

Now for the funny part. The money the Swedes make off Americans buying IKEA "furniture" and I use the term "furniture" loosely.

I personally have made a living using a little Finnish invention called the Linux kernel and a silly thing started in Massachusetts called the GNU Project so whatever.

Swedish Luthier -- Me, Scott, and Carl will drive over to see you on this faery tale trip I am devising. Then we will swim down and catch the mad Irishman Paulie for some brews. I suspect that is were the trip will end though and the lot of you will have to make your own way home.

All kidding is now done.

Back on task.

I have secured ATA Flight cases at a very good price for these guitars. They have no guitar cut out so I should be able to make them fit my thin guitars very well. I will update you on how the foam cutting goes.

Also have the first Multiscale almost assembled. Should be done tonight.

Europe is a big place, but there is easy path through from Turku (Finland) by ferry to Stockholm (near Peter), across to Denmark where a ferry to Harwich (north of London) takes you to the hell that is England (glad I left, no offence to the English contingent) and up to bother Paulie. Eaaaaasy. Optionally, hit Germany/Belgium/Netherlands and bother Mattia who I am sure would hate to have us on his stoep.

• Like 1

Sounds like a fun trip.

Are you considering cutting the foam on RoboRad?

SR

Thought about it. But RoboRAD ain't big enough. I would have to move the piece several times.

The Multiscale 7 is 37.5" stem to stern and the Multiscale Bass is 47.5"

RoboRAD has trouble with 24".

No I have to do some tests. I think scissors might be in order. But I was thinking about using my MDF template, using it to compress the foam all the way on a flat surface and outlining it with an exacto knife.

We will see...