Project S9 Continued...

That's a nice looking set RAD. This last group brings a couple of questions to mind.

Are you going to add any color to that burl top or leave it natural? It's got a great pattern in it by the way.

What's the thought process for that jack location on the bass? Other than some of your Vs I honestly don't recall where your normal jack location is......Obviously closer to the control cavity would be easier to wire and assemble and no less difficult to get the cable out of the way, so I figure there must be some sound reason .....or voodoo....that I'm too dim too pick up on.

SR

That's a nice looking set RAD. This last group brings a couple of questions to mind.

Are you going to add any color to that burl top or leave it natural? It's got a great pattern in it by the way.

What's the thought process for that jack location on the bass? Other than some of your Vs I honestly don't recall where your normal jack location is......Obviously closer to the control cavity would be easier to wire and assemble and no less difficult to get the cable out of the way, so I figure there must be some sound reason .....or voodoo....that I'm too dim too pick up on.

SR

Normal jack position is about 1.5 inches lower than what you see. I had some complaints about the jack hitting the leg when the guys were playing (doing the typical Metal Pose he he he). So I have moved it up using the ElectroSocket™ jackplate for Telecaster® when the guitar is thick enough. The 2 S9 Multiscales are too thin to fit the electrosocket so I angled the standard Switchcraft Long Threaded jack into the cavity.

I really like the Electrosocket and it frees up space in the control cavity (not that I care as I don't believe in complicated electronics anyway) but it is 1" in diameter and if I recess it the edges will show when I carve the top of the S9... I can't not recess it as it just doesn't seem right. I solved it on my T9 (tele shape) by adding a nice 50s flat spot for the electrosocket.

I hate input jacks. They are hard to place.

I used to replace the strap button with the input jack years ago and that is really the best place for them However then you have to modify your straps and you don't get the cool recessed strap locks. And you have to add another cavity to the guitar or use set screws that come loose or epoxy that doesn't.

I should probably come up with a way to solve this and machine my own parts...

I know TMI.

I know TMI.

Naw, that's why I like asking you questions. You give very informative answers......and I did ask for your thought process after all.

I confess to occasionally asking you questions that I already know the answers to. :) Those answers usually involve an important point for all those others looking in and maybe not understanding that particular point or the reason behind it. And you provide them nicely.

Slick job of sidestepping the burl color question too he he he.

SR

I know TMI.

Naw, that's why I like asking you questions. You give very informative answers......and I did ask for your thought process after all.

I confess to occasionally asking you questions that I already know the answers to. :) Those answers usually involve an important point for all those others looking in and maybe not understanding that particular point or the reason behind it. And you provide them nicely.

Slick job of sidestepping the burl color question too he he he.

SR

Awesome as always Scott. Maybe some of the others that stumble here will better understand now.

As for the burl. I hate to give it away now ;) In truth it is done... I soaked it in Mirror Coat Epoxy and I won't be getting any color into it now. But I will say that next time you see it you will get a good idea of why I didn't need to color it.

For some unknown reason I totally missed you guys talking about taking a massive dump. Does posting this out of reasonable context make it more amusing to say this?

Sorry about dropping this in your thread RAD. <_<

Hey, you're on the money though. I'd add that major manufacturers *can't afford* to not suck these days because of the pressure in the competition. Best sit on the mountain and produce a winner every time than vomit out piles of cheerless copies.

<edit: however sometimes those cheerless copies are the evil necessary in order to allow a luthier to survive and make the real winners>

Not many updates when you are sanding scratches out of bodies and necks.

I did carve the necks... but I didn't take pictures as I went.

Here we are sanding the 120 grit scratches out of the wenge. Doesn't really look any different in the photos... but my help has no fingerprints left.

IMG_20130608_135720_zps94f53735.jpg

IMG_20130608_135724_zpsf0ab473a.jpg

IMG_20130608_135728_zps6b6743a5.jpg