Project S9 Continued...

Do you need me to send over some pre-amps for this bass?

At some point I would like to have a few anyway. We should get that going...

I am currently thinking it can be all passive though. I am hopeful that my pickup designs work without a preamp. If not I will be scrambling as this thing is due in early July.

I never considered the number of feet of fret wire used in a guitar. Usually I just have a big roll of it sitting in my shop and I cut as needed. Someone else always kept it in stock for me. The shop I'm in now doesn't use rolls of wire. They buy it in tubes. Its a little frusterating, because I always feel like I have waste when it comes to the fret ends, because there's always that little bit left over.

My advice for fretting is to start from the top and work to the nut end. If you get any pieces which will leave a too-short-to-use piece, just clip off one piece and do a fret at the shorter end. It's when you start from the nut that waste starts creeping in. Maybe not an issue if you build occasionally, however it can make the difference between being two frets short (done that) or in the larger context your profitability.

My advice for fretting is to start from the top and work to the nut end. If you get any pieces which will leave a too-short-to-use piece, just clip off one piece and do a fret at the shorter end. It's when you start from the nut that waste starts creeping in. Maybe not an issue if you build occasionally, however it can make the difference between being two frets short (done that) or in the larger context your profitability.

This is exactly what i do. I usually only have an inch or so of waste after.

This is exactly what i do. I usually only have an inch or so of waste after.

This is also how I do it.

I never considered the number of feet of fret wire used in a guitar. Usually I just have a big roll of it sitting in my shop and I cut as needed. Someone else always kept it in stock for me. The shop I'm in now doesn't use rolls of wire. They buy it in tubes. Its a little frusterating, because I always feel like I have waste when it comes to the fret ends, because there's always that little bit left over.

I used to use Jescar and it came in a roll. I love fretwire in a roll. I barely waste any. I actually only wasted a 1 in piece on the bass.

The reason I have the 2 foot strips is because I like high nickel content Dunlop wire better than the Jescar. The Jescar had a small roll under at the edge of the crown where it met the fretboard and it never looked like it was seated all the way. Drove me nuts.