Project S9 Continued...

Enough crying this isn't my first disaster.

So lets talk about what is right and what worked.

Headstock veneers are glued on and tuner recess drilled. However I didn't have the 9/16 in forstner bit I needed to drill the tuner holes. That is on order now.

IMG_20130518_135426_zps2157f70e.jpg

Roughed in

IMG_20130518_135800_zps087a2073.jpg

IMG_20130518_143437_zpsb14fa108.jpg

So I was pretty mad after the machine died. I finished cutting the body on the Bandsaw and used the spindle sander to clean it up. I then shortened the top horn right below the tear-out. I also shortened the bottom horn a hair to keep the look I want. I am not sure that it is going to balance well enough now with the shorter horn so I am going to make a new body but it was nice to see it anyway.

IMG_20130519_165952_zps781d44f4.jpg

IMG_20130519_165957_zps7ab296cb.jpg

IMG_20130519_170004_zps4d524fef.jpg

IMG_20130519_170911_zps155ecdbe.jpg

• Like 1

Ouch on the CNC! Can your CNC be fitted with some kind of supervision that looks for these kinds of failures? At least then if something decided to go fizzle it would shut the system down rather than continue on and destroy your work.

Do Hipshot offer those headless systems commercially yet? I've only seen the 6 string version on their website.

Ouch on the CNC! Can your CNC be fitted with some kind of supervision that looks for these kinds of failures? At least then if something decided to go fizzle it would shut the system down rather than continue on and destroy your work.

Do Hipshot offer those headless systems commercially yet? I've only seen the 6 string version on their website.

No. Sadly no. I was in the shop but on the other side it only took me 30 seconds to get to it...

Hipshot should have them available soon. They may not be on the website for a while so if you want one I would call them. Don't tell them I sent you as I like getting early models of things.

Porter Cable next, perhaps? Bad luck.

The bad thing Pro is I have over $150 invested in precision collets and mounting hardware for the Bosch. Now if my CNC wasn't broke I could make new mounting hardware for the Dewalt I like. But I would need to buy a Bosch Colt to get it working...

I think the next one gets a 3 year replacement warranty from Lowes. It only has to last until I can afford the new CA Master.

You guys are always concerned with my CNC but no one said anything about the new bass design... 0_o

I only just now saw it. I was thinking that was a nice 4x2 headstock, then when you stood it up, I thought holy crap that is wide string spacing for a 6 string....then noticed the pup routes and came up with well hell, that's his bass project. Proportionally the body looks great. I would not have known it had been through a disaster.

It is good to see the CNC didn't erode your pre-roboRAD skills.

SR

"As you can see R4-D5 is doing something. I call it R4-D5 because I never know when it is going to blow a motivator." ooops!

Good looking bass ;-)

AHHHH! I Jinxed it... blasted. Blasted. What and ID10T error I made. I should know better.