Project S9 Continued...

Top is cut and ready for sanding. Always take the bulk of the wood from the side away from the bookmatch when thickness sanding. This preserves the bookmatch. I will sand the bookmatch side in a light pass after it is joined.

IMG_20130420_153758_zps1f3def2c.jpg
IMG_20130420_153734_zps69dae7c3.jpg

Fretboard needs to be thickness sanded as well. Usually 6mm is about right to start on wide boards.

IMG_20130420_153821_zps7feca434.jpg

Time to get some wood together. While I really enjoy putting the woods together it can be tedious going through the piles of wood on the shelf to find the right pieces.
It was a very tough choice between the fretboards.
The losers.
IMG_20130420_155355_zps100ba1cf.jpg
The winner. Fretboard on the left.
IMG_20130420_155436_zpsb7f7f125.jpg

Now that I have a fretboard lets try and cut this pile up without wasting anything. It usually takes me a little while to get this part done. I try to not waste a single piece. The scrap from this build was a 2"x6" block. But I will use it to make control cavity covers… so it is not really scrap at all.
IMG_20130420_162203_zps9d37787d.jpg
IMG_20130420_164213_zps24b98094.jpg

With the new saw I get a top and a nice veneer for headstocks and such out of a 4/4 board. Nice to not waste anything.
IMG_20130420_164628_zps8891c864.jpg
IMG_20130420_164632_zps90d70839.jpg

I am still torn about cleaning up glue… I know titebond doesn't really shrink but old habits die hard.
IMG_20130421_144601_zps2b8f57b7.jpg

With the body blank glued up time to get going on the neck blank. The CNC machine is turning out templates in the background... it is like there are 2 of us working.
IMG_20130421_144614_zps7c65e34f.jpg
IMG_20130421_150737_zps58d3b567.jpg

For a guy that hates to waste anything, that sure is a nice piece of ziricote you've gunked up on that side project.

SR

Hey watch it. It isn't "gunked up" it is "special". ;)

I had a huge void in the middle of this beautiful piece of Ziricote (that happened to come from the seconds bin at my local wood store) and I hated to waste a potential fretboard on headplates and cavity covers... Also I never use ziricote for neck stringers because it is too unstable. Except for jewelry box this board was a loss.

I will get the picture of what it looks like now together tonight and post it so you can see were I was headed with it.

I like your idea of using a bunch of bench vises to spread the pressure while clamping!

I was at a secondhand store recently and they had a bunch of old cast-iron book presses for sale that would have been big enough to serve as clamps for gluing tops onto bodies. Sadly they wanted in excess of $400 for each of them.

You're right about wenge, you can't pick up a piece of the stuff without getting splinters.

Last couple necks I've carved we're wenge and I have a habit of running my hand up and down the neck during the carving process to feel the progress. Ill leave the rest to your imagination.

Filthy stuff. Raw it looks boring but clear coated it looks amazing.

• Like 1

I like your idea of using a bunch of bench vises to spread the pressure while clamping!

I was at a secondhand store recently and they had a bunch of old cast-iron book presses for sale that would have been big enough to serve as clamps for gluing tops onto bodies. Sadly they wanted in excess of $400 for each of them.

Man a cast iron book press would be perfect for gluing tops on...

I have looked into the veneer presses from Shopfox but honestly can not pull myself to do spend the money on them.

One thing I have worried about with the bench vises is them coming loose overnight. Sometimes on the cheap ones the acme lead screw will work loose over time. So far these have been pretty nice. I use a wrench handle to put just enough pressure that they are hard to open the next day.

Vacuum clamping systems just seem to be messy and annoying.

So this one is glued up and now we have to true it again… I see a pattern here. After removing the excess with the bandsaw and a little time on the jointer we are really close. What I have learned is don't push it. The jointer is not your friend. It will destroy your work every chance it gets. Figured maple is always best finished up by hand. And try to keep the woops out.
IMG_20130427_120105_zps565e90a2.jpg
IMG_20130427_120108_zps46c1a542.jpg

Again since Bass guitars are huge none of my tools work on them. Since this thing doesn't fit on the CNC I had to go old school on it. Attaching a template, cut as close as I can with the bandsaw, then using the dreaded router table to clean it up.
The heal still has to be trimmed down so that is why there are steps in it.
IMG_20130427_154909_zps3580b8f0.jpg
IMG_20130427_154903_zps285be796.jpg