Project S9 Continued...

The horns don't quite match it anymore, do they. Not that there's much you can do other than lop them off.... which isn't such a bad idea.

Envision this:

The top of the body follows the line towards the neck pocket like an Ovation Breadwinner.

The bottom horn is shortened, re-shaped, and comes to a point like is elsewhere on the body.

Thought about it. But decided against modifying the horns.

I love the G4MT. This is very very close to a G4MT. Trust me I know what I am doing... (hold my sign) :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I keep forgetting about that low E string crossing the edge of the headstock. The rear shot reminded me......

Cool look. I really like the HS cap too.

I'm undecided on the headless one though. One day I think it looks cool and the next I think it looks like it was used to fend off a shark.

I looks a thousand times better than it did with the router bite though. Very inovative save. It's probably sold too....

SR

The Headless one... Icarus. It is sounds amazing and while visually it can be quirky after hitting a few notes on it things change. It does look like it tried to fend off a shark though.

I haven't offered up the latest batch outside of guys on my waiting list yet but I expect it gone pretty quick. The last one (Helion) is already sold.

• 1 month later...

Wow it really looks incredible in those shots. Honestly wasn't a fan of the Bocote until now.

I will tell you taking pictures of a guitar is a complete PITA. I have a nice Rebel Ti and a decent 50mm lens and still have to take 100s of pictures to get a few good ones.

Padauk is so red that it just over saturates every picture.

Bocote is hard to see the colors and patterns in because they are so close in shade.

The guitar itself is incredible in person.

I will tell you taking pictures of a guitar is a complete PITA. I have a nice Rebel Ti and a decent 50mm lens and still have to take 100s of pictures to get a few good ones.

+1000,000 to that.

Usually I take about 200 piks to end up with 20 I can use. & then maby 8-10 of them are good enough to get onto the site or a catalogue. Anything red suks to photo, Massive high gloss & Quilt suck aswell.

Still, savage guitar. It reminds me of a big mass of cherry toffee or ice cream with lots of syrip poured all over it. Always good when a finish gets me thinkin of food B-)

Taking guitar pics:

I was told years ago by a photographer a few tips that make pics easy.

Outdoors. Shoot in the shade or on a shady overcast day.

My pics aren't the best, but they're certainly not not worst either. I don't own a fancy camera, I don't even photoshop them other than a simple crop. iPhone is my camera. The sun is my lighting.

If you go to a studio you'll find they reflect light so that it's not shining directly on the subject creating glare. This is how the sun in our atmosphere works and why outdoor pics are easier than indoor.

Taking the pics in slight shade simply reduces glare again and means that every pic will turn out. Then it only relies on your ability to choose a good angle and frame the photo!

RAD: your use of Bocote inspired my to bring some in from the USA and Im currently working with two Bocote boards and a third is in my "personal stash".

Absolutely beautiful stuff. Not as hard as I'd have thought, but I've been working with some ridiculously hard timbers lately

i like your finger board. did you use stain to get the grain to look that dark ?

No Bocote is just awesome. However it needs UV protection and a sealer to retain its contrast for any amount of time.

Eventually the contrast will lessen as the board darkens with age.

RAD: your use of Bocote inspired my to bring some in from the USA and Im currently working with two Bocote boards and a third is in my "personal stash".

Absolutely beautiful stuff. Not as hard as I'd have ;thought, but I've been working with some ridiculously hard timbers lately

Yes it is more rosewood like than ebony like. It is a bit unstable as well. So i am doubtfull about trying anything too structural with it.

It usually is best to use epoxy on it... also i let my pieces sit for a while (read years) before using them as sometimes it is just not dry enough....

Tone wise it is bright with a maple like pop. When combined with a soft neck wood you get a nice warm sound with a lot of bite. When you combine it with a hard neck wood you get bright strat like tones that pop and bite.

Not sure i described it right but it is definitely a different tone... sometimes a bit unpredictable but always fun.