Ibanez S Style Jack Input

Well,look...that is done by CNC as far as I know.You can do the same thing with careful drilling with a jig,or you can use one of these for a similar function,though it hardly looks as good

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Hardware,_parts/Electric_guitar:_Covers_plates/Strat_Style_Jack_Plate.html

It is very tough to emulate Ibanez' CNC work...Every time I have tried to do a rear mount locking nut or a jack recess like that it has come out wrong...

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Wes, thanks for the tip about the type of jack needed. I've used similar before, but I'm looking for an alternative where the body carve doesn't leave enough of a flat at the edge to use it. I thought I'd seen this style of input recently on the forum, and then remembered where - Menapia's Power Strat Thingy. I'll shoot a question to him on that thread.

Cheers,

Brian.

i have seen 2 ways to do it...but i cannot find the pics:

1)secure the drilling table such as this

RDM-16RF.jpg

with an angle,secure the guitar and drill

2)put a piece of wood above the hole you intend to drill,and drill together 2 pieces with the desired angle...be carefull with the depth....

Edited by theodoropoulos

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't copied this myself, but this is how I would do it.

The big thing with you gotta remember is to keep the inside bearing surface parallel to the outside surface or the retainer nut won't hold it tight. In the S it's hard to measure because the body is tapered and won't work as a point of reference. If you're building a flat body guitar then this isn't an issue and you can measure off the body itself and just wait to carve the body until after you've completed the jack step.

Pick an angle you want the jack at, tape a T-Bevel set to that angle adjacent to where you'll be drilling to use as a rough guide. I'd probably drill the through hole first then come back with a larger brad pointed auger bit with a large pilot tip, (to help keep it stable), for the countersink.

You may or may not have routed the control cavity yet, probably doesn't matter as long as you leave enough meat for the inner bearing surface. I think to get this surface you could rig up a router jig at the correct angle or if you have high quality chisels and know how to keep them sharp then it shouldn't be too difficult to copy the angle. Just go slow and keep checking your progress with the T-Bevel.

Edited by NoSaintNick