Post Your First Build.

As a NOOB, who is starting the process of designing a guitar to build, I would love to see a thread where everyone posts pictures of their first completed guitars. I think it would definately be great to see how everyone made out on thier first try. I don't have anything to add myself at the moment, but hopefully in the not too distant future.

Thanks.

Here you go. My first guitar.

Walnut body with a maple/walnut/maple laminate neck, rosewood fretboard bound with curly koa. 25.5" scale, P90 pickup, etc, etc.

As long as you take your time, do your research, be methodical, and don't rush steps, you'll be fine.

Enjoy the journey, don't get too fixated on the destination. Good luck, and have fun!

p-nutcollagecopy.jpg

Damn, those first builds look fine... mine looked like this:

Myspacepic.jpg

Pickup has been replaced since, and there are many other flaws (most visibly no neck PU and no cavity-cover) but it works great since more than one year, I recently had the chance to try my friends BC Rich Widow, took it... and put it away two notes later. I just love this ugly beast :D because it is mine. But the second turned out 100% better, and number 3 and 4 look promising :D

Edited by SD83

Damn, those first builds look fine... mine looked like this:

Myspacepic.jpg

Pickup has been replaced since, and there are many other flaws (most visibly no neck PU and no cavity-cover) but it works great since more than one year, I recently had the chance to try my friends BC Rich Widow, took it... and put it away two notes later. I just love this ugly beast :D because it is mine. But the second turned out 100% better, and number 3 and 4 look promising :D

Dude, I've been really hesitant to post my first build, 'cause it has so many cosmetic issues, but for some reason yours reminded me of mine somehow. Now I feel I should show it.

IMAG0006.jpg

My first one:

G_094.jpg

G_097.jpg

I have just finished some rework on her. After a couple more builds I have gotten better in carving the necks and fretting, so this one was not quite right in perspective. Good thing is that all issues were 100% correctable. Unfortunately I don't have any newer pictures yet.

This was the first build for me and son #3 from a year or so back. It was supposed to be BC Rich inspired build but it ended up a bit Batman ... hence it's become the Batocaster.

It's slightly heavy and a little dangerous on the thighs ... but we were (and remain) pleased with it for a first build.

027-done.jpg

:D

wow i love the batocaster! i cant believe how good everyone's first guitars are!

this is my first effort:

lenght.jpg

made from parts of dead guitars, im amazed i managed to build it and that it sounds good considering it cost next to nothing! its a copy of Doyles guitar from the misfits. its the only guitar i play now because it plays and sounds so good!

could use a better paint job though.

Here is my first. Someone said it before about a few cosmetic issues with theirs, this is the same with mine. I feel now that i over finished it too but you live and learn. Other than that though it is my main guitar and i play it at all my gigs.

IMG_8715a.jpg

IMG_8737a.jpg

:D

Red Dragon casts Prismatic Shield!

Geeky, I know. I've been in a dice deficit for a few months.

Dude.... I haven't played for over a year. When 4th edition came out, all of the 3.5 groups dried up. I just can't get a regular game together. It's killin' me!

OK, I'll bite. What are you guys talking about? It sounds like some of the Saturday morning cartoons my 7y.o son watches.

This is exactly what I was hoping for...this will definately give me some motivation and reassurance that this can be done. It seems very daunting when looking through the posts. I do have two books, one by Tom Hirsch and another by something Rollof??, but I do not have THE book that everyone raves about.

Anyway...great first efforts by everyone...there is some serious talent here!. Keep them coming.

Thanks,

Gari

my first was fairly bad

wv1.jpg

started off as a simple junior but plans developed and i had a 'great idea' for a burl veneer scratchplate, that didnt work too well

however, it was all done with no previous wood working experience, very few tools (i brought a router half way through but the body was cut out by hand) and no help. even buying the wood involved a couple of bus journeys and carrying the wood blanks with me on a 6 mile walk back to town

so i am quite proud of how my first turned out even though i did chop it up a year or two later

after that i realised i needed a bit more help and tools and definately lots of practice

i do like to winge like an old man :D

Red Dragon casts Prismatic Shield!

Geeky, I know. I've been in a dice deficit for a few months.

Dude.... I haven't played for over a year. When 4th edition came out, all of the 3.5 groups dried up. I just can't get a regular game together. It's killin' me!

OK, I'll bite. What are you guys talking about? It sounds like some of the Saturday morning cartoons my 7y.o son watches.

Dungeons & Dragons. A REAL role playing game, not World Of Warcraft. Or at least it used to be one.