Burl Maple Tele

WezV

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad Wes said what he did about coloring burls.

When I looked at it, my initial thought was I would have done it differently as I like doing the stain/sand back on burls, but it has to be the 'right' kind of burl to do that to, it doesn't always work out depending on the variety and the pattern/texture of the individual burl, but after reading Wes' post, I took another look and I completely agree with him, it was the perfect thing to do to that burl, and it looks great like that.

And I also agree with Wes that to be honest, you probably wouldn't catch most popular/famous guitar players playing onstage with a natural colored burl topped guitar, this guitar looks far more like something someone would actually use onstage.

Looks great! :D

thanks for your thoughts drak - i knew this blue may be a crowd splitter because it doesnt 'enhance' the burl. i can say it doesnt hide the burl at all either. it just shows the burl as it was... but a fair bit bluer

i always like doing things in a way that give you a little more the closer you look. thats why the back looks black untill you get real close and can see its very dark blue and slightly see through.

now.. i do have to say at this point that the guitar of mine thats been on the biggest stage in front of the biggest audience was a natural burl :D

at wembley with a full orchestra

DVDimages___01hr_29min_04sec.jpg

DVDimages___01hr_17min_12sec.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/WezV/bod1.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/WezV/side1.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/WezV/17_0018.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/WezV/17_0016.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/WezV/17_0013.jpg

cant really make out the burl at all on stage but all the detail work is for the player - not the audience!!

also when choosing natural for burl you have to beware of how its actually going to look under a finish - do some test peices.

i was really liking this burl all the way through the build (wiped with spirits for the photo)

DSC00072.jpg

once it was sprayed clear it was a completely different look, almost too pale or pink. a dye and sandback may have worked wonders

IMG_0061.jpg

i am trying to find a photo of an early nathan sheppard guitar that may have been a massive influence at the time i made that. it had a tele bridge, direct mount neck bucker, burl top and even a similar upper bout shape.

camera broke, another ordered. till then i am using my phone

i couldnt get a pic of the whole neck at once with the phone camera - but here is the back of the headstock to show the grain present in the rest

head-1.jpg

this is currently sanded to 100 grit so nowhere near finalised but very promising!!

• 2 weeks later...

so far its just been micromeshed to about 4000 grit.

it was starting to show a few areas that needed a little more attention so i will go back through the grits again till i progress to 12000 grit.

feels so goram smooth!!

Hmmmmm.... I have this rosewood capped ash body that didn't even get a bid. Maybe a rosewood Strat neck on it with gold hardware. I'd probably want to do a contrasting fretboard, just for something different on the face. Maybe be just plain silly and make it an ash fretboard. I don't recall ever seeing one of those before.

side.jpg

frontwet.jpg

Someone mentioned two part epoxy and a hairdryer.. It certainly will thin the epoxy for a short time.. If you do that, be QUICK and mix small batches.

Be careful, I've build a few boats with epoxy, and heat can cause big problems in a hurry. Two part epoxy will flash off if it gets hot. Most of you know this, but for those of you that don't, you don't want to mix a lot at once, and you don't want to let it sit very long. Mix what you want, and use it quick.

When you mix, stir gently but completely. That will reduce bubbles. Because it's thick, it's easy to trap bubbles, stir circular.

You want what you are applying the epoxy to to be cool and warming, not warm and cooling. That's the biggest problem with bubbles. If it's cool and warming, it will pull the epoxy into the guitar/boat/whatever. If it's warm and cooling, it will off gass and put bubbles into your epoxy. I never do epoxy that shows in the evening when the temp drops. Bad things happen. Picture an entire side of a boat with millions of little bubbles in the finish coat. Make you cry.

I mixed up a 4 oz batch in a dixie cup one day, it was about 90 degree's outside. The phone rang, and I ran to answer it. I came back in about 2 minutes and it had flashed off, bubbled up to a 6 inch mushroom that was smoking and the cup was melted.

When we do lots of epoxy, we mix it and then spread it into large flat pans, it doesn't go off as fast because it doesn't build up heat.

Hair dryer will certainly thin it out, but it's going to reduce your working time dramatically.

-John