Ormsby Guitars - Derek's Customshop Ss

Brazilian is definately very easy to work with, but i prefer the tone of other timbers myself. I dislike QLD Maple, but that may be because Ive always had bad experiences with the merchants.

To get a nice light blue, you need nice light coloured timber. I'll probably post up a thread for the blue guitar soon, but otherwise just go to my website and view it in the diary. You'll see the maple is VERY white. The get a blue over a non white surface, you'll need to tint the clear.

Thanks a heap for this insight Perry. That certainly opens up some options for me with available tonewoods. If you ever want the 'secret' on good QLD Maple supplies....PM me!

Off to http://www.ormsbyguitars.com/ for a look see.........

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you can mask, but scraping looks cleaner in the end. I use a blade of some sort, mostly an exacto knife, but a chisel if its there and handy.

Candy can be stain/dye + lacquer, or actual candy paints. It just needs to be suspended over lacquer, and not touching the wood itself. There is a clear coat over the light blue, although I didnt get a photo. If you know what Im talking about with my method, and you use it on your own builds, credit me :D

why? you didn't invent the candy process, maybe you should be crediting whoever did?