Deja Vu

$900!!!!! Good job! :D

yeah,

the hetfield KLs are so hard to find even a copy of, people mawl each other over them. this guy that bought it actually talked ME into buying it from me. i diddnt want to sell it. i am acutally kind of sad. but thats why im making another one! and maybe another one!

Very cool man!! It was a beautiful guitar, just as this one is. I really like that fretboard, very nice. You mentioned a lot of the veneer not arriving in useable condition. I was going to mention, maybe if you're very careful you might be able to bookmatch a couple broken pieces to make a top from. Generally they all come from the same cut right, just like these two, so if you had a few broken pieces it might be possible depending. It'd probably be pretty tough to do, but might look cool on some shapes. Again, great job, this one is looking very nice, great wood combinations. J

hey thanks jason!

i could never figure out how to bookmatch veneer. i mean, how the heck to you get them glued so close together that it looks like it is a real book match? i dont see how you can glue them up like that.

im on the last bit of sealer now. if i wouldnt have messed with this stupid epoxy, i would have been done a long time ago.BubingaExp2sandingsealer003.jpg

th_BubingaExp2sandingsealer004.jpg

th_BubingaExp2sandingsealer006.jpg

Yeah, that was the only problem about the bookmatching I could think of is getting it lined up perfectly, it'd be tough as can be no doubt. Its look amazing so far. Epoxy can be messy and a PITA, but it can work well for leveling. Did you try it on top or sides and back? With the bubinga I have it doesn't seem to need any type of leveling or grain filling and I would imagine using epoxy on it would be a trying experience. On my Zebrawood though, man oh man, even just one good grain fill made it feel worlds smoother and will make finishing it so much easier. I'll probably try some Zpoxy sometime in the future as people rave about it for grainfilling, but I just used my West systems and it worked fine. I've tried hardware store epoxies in the past and will never do so again, they were a royal pain, smelled terrible and didn't even harden all that well, not to mention they were so thick applying the stuff was miserable. As always can't wait to see how it turns out, it already looks amazing. Best of luck. J

when i did a small project (a clock) i bookmatched a veneer top like this;

(it was already a bookmatched set with 'sort of straight edges, that matched)

i stacked them on top each other, and hung them a mm or two over the edge of my bench; basically enough so that all the 'unstraight' stuff was hanging over(bad explaination)

then clamped a long straight wood block across the top, flush with the bench;

then sanded with a block until i was sanding against the block and the table;

i dont know if thats clear, i had two beers and am in the fogginess before bed;

basically your sanding them straight but clamped tight so your veneer dosent chip;

and then yeah, veneer tape.