New Guitar Shape, Your Opinion?...

Here's a design I came up with about 4 years ago. I am just now finishing the first version of it, and a second one is about 1/4 done. What do you think? Attractive or not?

dc_design1_lo.jpg

Here's what it looks like as of last week. There's 6 coats of nitro highlighting the blotchy stain job on the maple plate. Finishing is an art that I still have to learn.

r1_11.jpg

And here's how #2 is shaping up :

r2_1.jpg

Thanks for looking. Criticism's more than welcome!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honest opinion? It doesn't strike me as anything special. It resembles a PRS/Jaguar crossbreed. I like the PRS style cutaways, but not the extended Jaguar style body shapes.

Please don't take that as anything negative. At this point, it'd be dang hard for anyone to have an original body shape without being able to compare it to an existing shape or combination of shapes. All of our shapes are going to be inspired by something else. The most important thing is that YOU like it and that it feels good in YOUR arms.

I love it!

The only flaws in my eyes are the mismatched horns (if you kept them both the ric bass kinda shape i think it'd look better) and the stain. I love the color you ended up with, i think it really matches the rest of the guitar, but if you could redo it and get that same color wih a more uniform stain...

How was the stripe done?

How was the stripe done?

It's binding applied around the 1/4" thick maple top plate. That plate is then "inlayed" into the top of the alder body.

I might go for a flashier flame maple plate and dye job for #3. I'd like to try a burst of some kind on the plate and a solid color on the body. I will also experiment with different round-overs for the upper horn. #1 (the blue one) is 1/2" radius , #2 (the one with the pickguard above) is 1/4". I'll try 3/8", and possibly 3/16", for more of a LP Jr/Tele-ish kinda look.

Any other thoughts?

Ooh, another suggestion!

The bass side seems a little too straight in that one spot. I noticed something slightly off about that side but couldnt figure out what till now. Maybe you could very slightly round that out on the next one? That one straight line doesn't really fit in with the otherwise very curvy body.

And I definitely like the inlayed wood and stripe alot more then the pickgaurd one. The inlayed part really gives it a unique, interesting look.

I may not me wowed by the shape. but I DO really like the bog bound & inlaid wood "pickguard". With it being that big, I don't know if it can really be called a pickguard, bit what else are we to call it? It's a nice, unique aspect. A couple of thoughts on it: 1) I'm not sure the black body with a black stained p/g is working. Too much of the same. If you do this again, maybe try a contrasting or complimenting tone, not the same tone. 2) Consider reversing the scheme. Paint the p/g a solid color and stain the body. When we see a p/g, we expect to see a solid color (or tortoise shell), not stained wood. That doesn't make it WRONG to have the p/g as stained wood, just not what is anticipated.

And I can't tell if MiKro is serious on this one or not. Usually I can spot the mood. Hmmmmm... At least he & I agree on what it's a hybrid of.

I'm not sure the black body with a black stained p/g is working. Too much of the same.

It's actually blue :D But I get the point. I wish I had something like KISEKAE with my guitar shape to test color schemes before committing it to the wood. I'll try to whip up something quick in Photoshop for the next ones.

I'm glad to see the amount of feedback my guitar is getting on various forums, good or bad. Some threads about custom designs get ignored for some reason. This one is at least getting some attention. Thanks.

I think it would look really cool with a lightly flamed "insert" stained a light red/orange. It would contrast the black body line beautifully.

Whoo baby - That would be nice. I'd lean towards a heavily flamed piece or a nice quilt. OR... a burl veneer laminated to whatever is available! Do a multi-tone stain/sand back on the burl. Actually, any of them would be more readily available (and cheaper) as a veneer than as a big piece like that.

FWIW: I like the wood bridge. I'm not thinking the color works with the rest of the ax, but the idea and execution are solid. Maybe if it matched the body color...

Edited by avengers63

I think it would look really cool with a lightly flamed "insert" stained a light red/orange. It would contrast the black body line beautifully.

Whoo baby - That would be nice. I'd lean towards a heavily flamed piece or a nice quilt. OR... a burl veneer laminated to whatever is available! Do a multi-tone stain/sand back on the burl.

I totally agree, that'd be nice.

FWIW: I like the wood bridge. I'm not thinking the color works with the rest of the ax, but the idea and execution are solid. Maybe if it matched the body color...

So you and me are the only ones who like it. :D And it's quite a pain to machine in my shop, so I'm not even sure the next one will have it. We'll see.

I really like it, reminds me a little of some of scott french's guitars.

Thats a good from me as I normally don't like blue guitar finishes!

You're right original designs don't get much attention which is a shame.

Great work.

I like the overall look and idea. I think I would have taken the area that is painted black and carved that are though. Not fully around, but just the one side.

What type of wood is the neck? Is that ash? The grain just looks really pronounced to be maple.