Is It Possible_

TheCross

hey. some dazs ago I saw an ebay auction with an ibanez artist model that had a humbucker AND a single coil in the bridge position and a hum neck. it had 3 coils placed at the bridge pos and the single one closer to the bridge acting as some kind of tele pup... dunno if it was a fake but the idea intruiged me since... can I build a LP special kind of guitar with a wrap around bridge and put a Tele style pup and a p90 at the bridge and another p90 in the neck pos? Do i have to put the wrap around bridge angled or can I do it straight as well, or would a hardtail stratstyle bridge better be suited therefore?

cheers

Well "bridge" and "neck" pickups are just the usual way of doing things. You can put pickups wherever you want. Since you can't put two pickups on top of each other, in reality, you will still have just one "bridge" and one "middle" pickup. However, their placement is up to you, and you can put them wherever you want, including having both of them crowded down by the bridge.

A word of warning: The closer the pickup is to the bridge, the less the strings vibrate there, so the lower the output you have. I would not put EITHER pickup closer to the bridge than the bridge pickup on a Fender guitar, say 1-2 inches away.

hey. some dazs ago I saw an ebay auction with an ibanez artist model that had a humbucker AND a single coil in the bridge position and a hum neck. it had 3 coils placed at the bridge pos and the single one closer to the bridge acting as some kind of tele pup... dunno if it was a fake but the idea intruiged me since... can I build a LP special kind of guitar with a wrap around bridge and put a Tele style pup and a p90 at the bridge and another p90 in the neck pos? Do i have to put the wrap around bridge angled or can I do it straight as well, or would a hardtail stratstyle bridge better be suited therefore?

cheers

There are more elegant options. For example, the EMG-89 if you want to go active-- it houses a single-coil and a humbucker in one casing. I believe the Lace Humbuckers feature 2 "single-coils", so when split, they should still sound authentic-ish. Something like Swinehead's A.M.P. is also a more elegant solution: http://www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk/amp.shtml

If you truly want 2 separate pickups, the next best bet (in my opinion) is to use a single-coil-sized humbucker along with the regular single-coil.

Greg

hm. ok first off: thanks a lot for the replies...

to jozer:

how would a rather high output telestyle pup solve the problem concerning the distance to the bridge? If I go let's say Stratstyle hardtail, I could put it pretty close to the bridge. using a badass style bridge would make me wanna recess it in a way, so I wouldn't have to let it stick out too much to get a decent signal. moving closer to the bridge would make things even more trebbly as well, right?

I got a bari tele project lying around with a Tele-p90-p90 config... I guess sticking to the 1-2inches like fender does wouldn't really bring me a bridgeAbridgeB-neck set up talking about like maybe 1/2" movement...

to greg:

don't like the EMG stuff too much... swineshead is nice, but only an alternative if I would wanna go tele/p90.... thanks though

maybe I'd have to go custom.... dang...

I'm not following you on the tele/p90 thang, though. Swineshead's AMT is neither a tele nor a P90 pickup-- and Swineshead doesn't even offer tele or P90 pickups. ? Or do you mean it's only an option if you DITCH the tele/P90 idea?

To be absolutely honest, I lost track of what you originally wanted. For some reason I was thinking you wanted a Hum/Single. Sorry! Backing it up a moment-- it would be tough to do what you want to do because of the way a tele bridge pickup is mounted. It'll interfere with successfully mounting both pickups close enough to the bridge to call them "bridge" pickups. One of them will end up more like a middle.

While there are plenty of hum/single solutions, yours is a bit trickier. It would be tough to design a pickup to do what you want it to do, because there will inevitably be a tradeoff. My personal, humble, and not all that important opinion is that one or the other (tele or p90) single-coil in the bridge is plenty. An overwound tele pickup can often sound similar to a P90, and some tele-lovers have put P90s in their custom builds. There's a lot more overlap in the sound than there is between a humbucker and a single-coil. People have made pickups called "T-90s"... here's an example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-T-90-pickup-for-el...0QQcmdZViewItem

Now, this doesn't solve the "2 different sounds" part of the equation, but at risk of sounding redundant-- there's already so much overlap in the sound that I don't see it as being a hugely useful feature. I would bet money that you'd end up preferring one pickup over the other anyhow, after all that work. :D

Greg

Greg

I'm afraid I don't really follow... Both a strat and a tele, although they use different bridges (the tele bridge has the large metal plate), have their bridge pickups in about the same relative location, which is about 1 inch from where the strings are "supported" aka "saddles". Obviously you would want to use a Strat style bridge because it does not have the large base plate.

The closer you put the pickups to the bridge (where the strings are supported, not where the baseplate starts), the more trebbly it would be, and the lower output you will get. This is why bridge pickups are usually hotter than neck pickups. However, past a certain point, the strings vibrate so little and the sound is so trebbly that you probably don't want to put a pickup there. This is why I told you to make the minimum distance between the string supports of the bridge and the pickup about 1 inch or so. Beyond this distance you are going to get very poor sound no matter what pickup you use. I was saying use a Strat as a guide, the strat bridge pickup is placed about as far towards the bridge as you would want to go. You could place one pickup there, and the other right after it (i.e. 1 pickup 1" from the saddles, the other 2" from the saddles).

I have a Tele with a P90 and a regular bridge pickup. I can say that the P90 has a fatter sound that will probably not be as trebbly as a single coil no matter where you mount it.

It would be great to see a drawing or sketch of what you want to do, as it is kind of hard to understand the description you are giving us.

hm. ok first off: thanks a lot for the replies...

to jozer:

how would a rather high output telestyle pup solve the problem concerning the distance to the bridge? If I go let's say Stratstyle hardtail, I could put it pretty close to the bridge. using a badass style bridge would make me wanna recess it in a way, so I wouldn't have to let it stick out too much to get a decent signal. moving closer to the bridge would make things even more trebbly as well, right?

I got a bari tele project lying around with a Tele-p90-p90 config... I guess sticking to the 1-2inches like fender does wouldn't really bring me a bridgeAbridgeB-neck set up talking about like maybe 1/2" movement...

to greg:

don't like the EMG stuff too much... swineshead is nice, but only an alternative if I would wanna go tele/p90.... thanks though

maybe I'd have to go custom.... dang...

Yes. And I thought *I* was a bad reader. :D

Ummm. I like a nice elegant thread as I have a very short attention span. Really, I do - despite my better reasoning and intentions. What did I miss Greg?

Sorry to pop off the rails there.... :-D

I would go EMG-89 if I wanted both a single and a double at the bridge independantly.

I have a Tele with a P90 and a regular bridge pickup. I can say that the P90 has a fatter sound that will probably not be as trebbly as a single coil no matter where you mount it.

It would be great to see a drawing or sketch of what you want to do, as it is kind of hard to understand the description you are giving us.

here y`all go

that`s how I wanned it to be

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k245/dercross/test-1.jpg

and that`s how the Ibanez artist had it as far as I can remember

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k245/dercross/test2.jpg

it had a tripple mounting ring... sort of...

does this help?

You can definitely do it like that, if you want. My only concern is that the single coil jammed right into the bridge might not sound very good. If I were to do it (completely hypothetical), I would leave half an inch or so from the bridge pickup to the bridge. The second bridge pickup is still reasonably close to the bridge, but both will be more usable. You don't have to take my advice though, its just a matter of personal preference.