Best Way To Highlight This Walnut Body

i would either coat it in shellac before spraying clear lacquer or i would finish it with tru-oil.

both of these methods will help to bring out the best of what is already there but wont add anything that isnt.

Adding a darker dye and sanding back may very well take away from the nice look of the Walnut you have. You will not get the figured look because it is not present in the wood. Adjusting the overall color with shellac is a good approch(shellac has a very natural look and is easy to control). You can get shellac that ranges from pale blond to orange to garnet. Test whatever you want to use on a scrap piece before applying it to the body. Another nice feature of shellac is that it is a pretty universal base, as it is compatable with most other finishes. Also, if you prefer to grain fill with z-poxy do it before applying the shellac. Tinting could also be added to laquer if you prefer.

Peace,Rich

Thanks for the responses! I guess I mean bringing out the redish/carmel overtones colors in the wood, not the figure, mine is that nice banding. Maybe a redish shellac will fit the bill. I'm relly grateful to have found this forum and all of the help you guys offer. :D

Did you make the body? If so, the best way to proceed is to experiement on some of the cutoff pieces. I agree with the other posters; some sort of clear finish like shellac or oil. I've tried staining wood and you never get what you invision. I'm now in the "leave the wood be" side. Don't overlook clear,blond shellac as well, I found the amber stuff to be a bit blochy and hide the grain. That wood looks very nice and you will be surprised how a clear finish will bring it alive.

I don't know anything about finish... but I have a working understanding of colour in general... and without offering an expert opinion, my instant reaction to your last post was, "Don't use red!!" You want to highlight the light parts, right? If you apply red, the way colour frequencies work as filters, the darker parts will only get a bit redder than their natural colour, while the yellowish parts will become a darker orange or red... consequently, you will produce the opposite intended effect! You will make the light bands have LESS contrast, rather than more!

Again, not a professional opinion, but I think a clear or light blonde finish has to be the way to go, no?

Greg

Quite irrelevant and unrelated to this topic, would a turquoise burst finish look nice?? Can anyone show a pic of such a finish pls...??

Not on Walnut, not.

You need WHITE woods (maple, etc.) to make anything in a blue-greeny family look its best.

I don't mean on walnut, i mean that colour in general with a white base coat.. how about a metallic turquoise burst...? if its possible...

Quite irrelevant and unrelated to this topic, would a turquoise burst finish look nice?? Can anyone show a pic of such a finish pls...??

Not on Walnut, not.

You need WHITE woods (maple, etc.) to make anything in a blue-greeny family look its best.

I don't mean on walnut, i mean that colour in general with a white base coat.. how about a metallic turquoise burst...? if its possible...

Seriously, go buy yourself some paints and experiment.

You could try wood bleach if you want to lighten the wood a bit. It's something I've been wanting to try myself... when I find the right piece of walnut. Anyway, lighter wood might give you a broader range of colors to choose from. I remember seeing someone on this forum (Drak maybe) who bleached a walnut top and then did some kind of transparent reddish burst. It was very cool. Anyone remember that? I tried a quick search with no success...

You could try wood bleach if you want to lighten the wood a bit. It's something I've been wanting to try myself... when I find the right piece of walnut. Anyway, lighter wood might give you a broader range of colors to choose from. I remember seeing someone on this forum (Drak maybe) who bleached a walnut top and then did some kind of transparent reddish burst. It was very cool. Anyone remember that? I tried a quick search with no success...

Found it. It was Drak... a GOTM entry by the name of "Bones". Unfortunately, the links to the pics are not showing up for me anymore. Here's the link anyway: Drak's "Bones" GOTM entry

You could PM Drak yourself if you wanted some pics... or guidance.