5-string Bolt-on

Now that I'm about to finish up my 6-string project, it's time to move onto the next project. A body for a Spector neck I've had laying around for nearly 3 years now. I didn't want to start this one until I had all the parts because it's no fun waiting around for everything, so that's all taken care of except the bridge I plan on replacing in this project. So onto the project we go!

Specs:

• 35" scale, 24 frets, 5-string bolt-on bass
  • Mahogany body with Wenge center laminate
  • Padauk Top
  • Wenge accent lines
  • (2) Musicman Pickups
  • 17mm or 17.5mm string spacing

5-stringSpector2.JPG

The design roughly cut out with an Xacto blade.

5-stringSpector3.JPG

So I decided on the woods on stuff I've had laying around for a while. I didn't want to get a start on this one until I had some kind of vacuum pump for gluing the veneers, because gluing veneers any other way can be very difficult and time consuming. So the solution? A skateboarding vacuum press kit! Found here. This was suggested in a woodworking magazine, I'll see if I can find the exact edition for you guys (I always get great ideas from these magazines). Woodcraft didn't have the wider size I needed, so I plan on getting that soon so I can glue the top the same way I did the Wenge accent lines. And man, it's a hell of a lot more powerful than I thought it was. It sucked over half the glue through the pores! I spent 30 minutes using 220 grit sandpaper on the orbital just to clean up that mess.

5-string%20Spector%204.jpg5-string%20Spector%205.jpg

Mmm, check out that beautiful jointing job!

5-string%20Spector%206.JPG5-string%20Spector%207.JPG

Side-shot of the body with the top on.

5-string%20Spector%208.JPG

The body is currently gluing up, I'll probably get a little more progress done tomorrow but I doubt I'll have time. Running the fingerboard store takes a fair amount of time out of my day!

5-string%20Spector%209.JPG

5-string%20Spector%2010.JPG

Nothing going on tonight, so I'm trying to get as much progress done as possible! The body glued up flawlessly. Next shot is a good picture of the original sketch that I'm going to apply to some plywood or plexi-glass so I can make a template out of it. Note that the Mahogany wasn't lengthy enough for the design, so I'll just make the horn a little bit more bulky.

5-string%20Spector%2011.JPG5-string%20Spector%2012.JPG5-string%20Spector%2013.JPG

Here's a better shot of my forstner bit idea, this saves me time and gets a nice clean cut in those hard to reach areas. The forstner bit slipped when I was tightening it into the drill press, landed on my big toe! Ye-ouch, note the blood on my toe in the last picture. That's what I get for working bare-foot.

5-string%20Spector%2014.JPG

And here's where I'm at as of now. No sanding sleeves for my belt sander, so I'm on hold on this project until I pick up some new ones.

5-string%20Spector%2016.JPG

5-string%20Spector%2015.JPG

I've got the body mostly shaped now that I've got some belt-sander sleeves. The bridge I'm needing for this project (5-string A-style Hipshot 18mm spacing) will be here sometime this upcoming week, now I just need the wider veneer bag to glue the top on and I'll have everything I need!

5-string%20Spector%2017.JPG

The body shape isn't complete yet. :D And I agree about it, I don't like the shape so far, but the final design is exactly what I'm going for. If you look closely, you'll see a couple pencil lines of where I should be shaping it.

This will be my contra-bass. F#, B, E, A, D tuning. I forgot to mention that! With two other basses tuned to low B, and another with low B and high C, I need some low-end so I don't have to de-tune.

Nice! I like the 'sound' of that tuning! That was both a pun and not a pun.. anyway,... My younger brother (who happens to be a very good bassist for his age) wanted me to build him a 5 string with a high C one day but I wasn't completely sure how to go about that, and i was hoping that was what you were making so i could look at it to figure out how to go about making one with a high C. But i think this will be a great bass anyway, especially with that contra tuning!

Skateboard vacuum pump seems too ingenious to be true! lol Great stuff.

Have you sourced your MM-style pickups yet? If so, which ones are you going for?

Have you sourced your MM-style pickups yet? If so, which ones are you going for?

Wilkinson's. They cost about $25 total. I don't plan on them sounding nice, I just want a signal to test prototype builds.

you can change any 5 string to have a high C just buy a 6 string set and string it E, A, D, G, C

Or buy the a .032-.028 gauge single string off the internet. :D

www.juststrings.com. This is where I get my custom strings for my basses. The rest come from http://www.conklinguitars.com/accessories.html.

Thanks guys, thats some good information to have!

Wilkinson's. They cost about $25 total. I don't plan on them sounding nice, I just want a signal to test prototype builds.

I'm sure they'll sound just fine. :D What kind of active electronics are available? Do the Wilkinsons -require- active electronics, or are they just recommended?

I have no idea, I think they're recommended. I'll be using a Jackson pre-amp until I'm able to afford an Aguilar pre-amp. With the Aguilar I'll be able to wire it for more knobs - master volume, blend, low, mid, high, active/passive switch, and a mid frequency selector. Honestly, I just want a ton of crap on my bass, I love the look of wooden knobs!

651990452_l.jpg

I'll have some more work done on this bass when the 26"x28" vacuum bag comes in, hoping late this week or early next week. I'll also have the Aguilar pre-amp ordered very soon, so I can save another Jackson pre-amp for other test builds. I'm quite positive I'll be going with a string-thru body on this build, so I'll be ordering some black ferrules along with the pre-amp. I think that would look pretty sweet. I'm not 100% positive if the F# string will be long enough to go this route, but this is where the handy Hipshot bridge comes in, you can string it however you want, not to mention have 3D adjustable saddles. Left, right, up or down, it does it all!

Don't forget to check out roarockit's site. I'm glad I didn't have to invest in $300-400 for an electric pump and my own bags to glue veneers and tops. Going this route cost me less than $100.

http://www.roarockit.com/rc_wood.php?id=49

Sorry for the dum questions-- where do you find these Jackson preamps that you speak of? Are they just pillaged from Jackson basses, or available as 3rd-party items?

Greg

Pillaged. These were salvaged from beat up instruments when Fender bought the company out. The guitarist in my band used to work for them but lost his job when they were bought out, so I've got a fair amount of Jackson parts.

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see you're using the vacuum bag a lot. It's a very usefull tool and I anticipate you'll be finding new uses for it as you continue building, especially if you branch into acoustics. However, you may consider switching over to an automatic, cycling pump to reduce your work load. Check out JoeWoodworker.com and look at the different types of pumps.

peace,

russ

I'd love to upgrade to an electric when I can afford it. But this definitely works since I'm just a weekend warrior right now!

I cleaned up the sides with the router, I've still got a fair amount of sanding to do, as well as carve the body and route the neck and pickup cavities. Hoping to have that complete within two weeks since I've got a lot going on now.

5-string%20Spector%2022.JPG

5-string%20Spector%2020.JPG5-string%20Spector%2021.JPG

Thanks! It's shaping up pretty nicely. Got one pickup routed as well as the neck. The ball bearing locked up on the second (bridge) pickup and burnt into the template and body. I will probably do a binding channel to cover up the mistake, although I'm not sure what kind of binding I would use. I'm also about to order the strings for this bass and my 6-string project I'm about to finish up. It's going to cost right over $60 to string this bass up. A little less than 8-string basses.

So the gauges will be:

F# - .195"

B - .145"

E - .110"

A - .075"

D - .055"

Calculates to be a pretty balanced set, I just hope I don't break any strings!

I used a router bit with the ball bearing on the bottom to copy the original neck pocket. Came out perfect.

5-string%20Spector%2023.JPG

Then I got a little work done on the carve. I still need to shape bottom of the body a bit, once I figure out the final shape I'll do a little more thought out work for the carve in that area. I'll work on fixing the pickup cavity soon, although I'd prefer to fix the mistake when I have more time to think on it.

5-string%20Spector%2024.JPG

5-string%20Spector%2025.JPG

• 2 weeks later...