First Time, First Build

This is the body I was experimenting with before to learn the process of building. The ash top was meant to go with the merbau but it warped and came out thinner than planned when planed flat. So I decided to glue it on top of my black pine test body. Then I routed a 12 x 3 mm channel right in the middle for a merbau strip. Right now I am routing the rabbet for the wooden binding strips. Looks like the merbau body must wait until tomorrow :))

Take care.

Rabbet ready. I must call it a day now because I found that I ran out of glue. No bindings today. But I routed the binding rabbet:

Routing the binding channel

Here is the finished work. The guide bearing left a slight mark on the body, I'll fix it later - i hope :))

Ready for binding - I suppose

And this is a sample of the merbau binding I am expecting to use. I cut them with a circular bench saw. If it comes out fine maybe I'll do the backside, too.

Merbau binding

This is it for today.

Merbau's bloody heavy, mostly, and doesn't look nearly as nice as Mahogany with a natural finish (IMO. But I'm a huge mahogany fan). Similar, but not quite so rich, probably beacuse the grain's often a little coarser. Very variable in colour, from orangey to boring brown to dead ringer for African mahogany.

Well, like Mattia said it's quite heavy but unfortunately I haven't been able to find some decent wood for the top. It is a solidbody now. I cut the body, routed the neck pocket and PU cavities. You can see the burn marks around the body, I have to sharpen my ball bearing bits or learn how to find the right cutting speed or both.

Neck pocket and front cavities

Then started carving and hoping to remove some wood to make it lighter

Carving body

Neck is attached and some measurements are taken

Body with neck

I am a big person, thus the big body. It is now a little bit heavier than my Gibson LP Std. The back cavities are not routed yet. This is my first project, so I wouldn't mind playing it seated as long as it turns out to be playable ;) The neck in the picture was picked from e-bay some time ago. I am testing around with scarf joints, slotting, etc. I will start building the neck when I'm ready. I've got tons of sanding to do now.

More on the ash / black pine body later.

Cheers.

I made the mistakes by making burns with a blunt router bit on one of my bodies, never came out unfortunately :D

What are you using to carve the body? I suggest an angle grinder with a flap disk.

Fortunately those burn marks weren't that deep and I could get rid of them today with low grit sanding. I use a handheld power planer and a flap disk as you suggested. I made some progress today and routed the electronics cavity. Right now I am googling for a way to use a drill as a lathe to turn my knobs. Found some wenge and thinking about turning merbau/maple veneer/wenge knobs.

Take care.