My First Project Has Started

Hello Everybody,

I'm new to the board and have recently started my first solid body guitar project. The guitar I’m building is sort of a Telly thing, but with slightly tilted body shape. The specs for my guitar are as follows:

2-piece ash Body

1-piece bolt on neck (maple) with walnut fretboard

Reverse headstock

21 frets medium

25,5 inch scale

Electronics mounted on pickguard

3 single coil pickup configuration

1 tone control

1 volume control

5 way switch

Below you can see some images of what I’ve done so far. Please comment!

Basic Drawing of the body (I've changed the pickup config and tone-control layout):

IMGP0587s.jpg

Basic drawing of the headstock:

IMGP0588s.jpg

Two-piece ash body:

IMGP0614s.jpg

Pickguard sawed out, note the changed configuration:

IMGP0701s.jpg

Body sawed out, and shaped:

IMGP0702s.jpg

Trying out a stain for the body on a left over piece of ash:

IMGP0743s.jpg

Since this is my first project, i've probably not done everything in the correct order (I think I've shold have done all the routing before sawing out the body for example). I've rather done it in the order I got my hands on the various tools...

Best regards

Johnny Guitar

Thanks for the replies; here is another photo of the body from a differnet angle:

IMGP0689s.jpg

btw, prs man, is that your PRS in the picture? Looking good! I've been GAS:ing for this for a while, but the price scars me off a bit:

http://www.tiptop.se/cgi-bin/multipage.cgi?id=332

28900SEK~4200USD...

My project will be "restarted" in a few weeks when I have vacation. It's been on hold for a while.

Best regards

Johnny Guitar

What PRS? I'm going mad or something-- don't see any PRS in any of those pics. :D

LOVE this project, Johnny! The shape, headstock, everything-- look well thought-out and unique, while not being "bizarre." Looking forward to seeing this one as it goes!

Whhooooooww Doggy, thats some nice looking ash!!! I'd love to tap that ash! Seriously, thats some wicked looking stuff and the pattern after bandsawing and carving is really cool. Its looking really good so far and I definately like the plans. Keep the progress pics coming and keep up the excellent work. J

Looking really good, man, and I'm really liking that stain you tried out. As far as doing things in the wrong order, the only thing I'd have done differently was routing everything before carving the body curves. Flat surfaces are easier to sit the router on, is all, unless you wanted to make a jig.

Thanks for all the replies and the encouragement!

I'll keep pictures posting pictures as soon as I have anything new.

jmrentis: I'm very pleased with the wood! I had some trouble finding a place to buy good dry wood, but eventually I found a firm that mostly deals in larger quantities. Lucky for me friday afternoon is open for "the public" so I could buy some of their fantastic wood. You should see the walnut piece I bought - a real beauty! I'll take some pictures of it and post the next time I'm in my "workshop" (ie parents house...). Acctually my first idea was to paint the guitar with a solid colour - since its my first build it would be more forgiving if I slipped with the tools and had use a wood filler. But a colleague of mine forbid to do that when I showed him the wood after it had been planned. I'm acctually quite glad for that now! Lets just hope that the routing doesn't chop out chunks of wood where it's not supposed to...

If there's any swedish builders around, be sure to check out Fredricsons Trä:

http://www.fredricsons.com/Contents.asp?id=910

The stain is called "mahogany red" - I'll like it a lot and have almost decided to use it, but I'll try out a few other colours as well. I'll probably leave the final clear coating to a proffesional though.

Best Regards

JohnnyGuitar