Newbie Build

Hey guys,

I'm on the site every night, but dont really do much posting.. so here i go.

I'm a regular member on AGGH, so the pics ive posted there are the same as here.

I started on a new build part of VCE, the subject is for D&T (Design and Technology). I'm required to accommodate the needs of a client. This design is similar to a PRS, Belman but with a few tweaks here and there.

I'm focusing on an Australian theme, part of my folios requirements. Using only Australian materials etc. Now for some Specs:

SPECS:

- Arch top

- 25 inch scale

- One piece figured Queensland maple body

- Queensland maple Set neck

- 1st Grade Gidgee fretboard

- Hand wound pups.

- Figured blackwood head stock veneer

- Plain clear Nitro finish, possibly with a yellowy tint. (but not much)

drawingswr8.jpg

Drawings and progress

Frettboard and drawings

Timber and drawings

Headstock

Mother of pearl and design.

OK. Thats enough drawings, they are all full scale and it took ages to do. But is the smartest thing I've done, Its made the job that much easier.

I'm not doing the inlay anymore, its so lame.. what do you guys think?. It seems almost stupid/ pointless. just a design idea though.

PROGRESS:

Jigs

Maple slab

Jig, Slab and fretboard

Fretboard binding

The neck should be finished soon enough. And i will post more pictures soon.

criticism gladly accepted.

Thanks for your time.

Dean

Edited by theaxe

I really like the whole idea, looks great. I can't to see how it comes together. The inlay is a nice and neat touch. I enjoy mellow themed guitars like this one. Its based on a theme, but not taken overboard to the point of seeming more like a gag than a guitar. That Gidgee is some cool wood, I saw some pieces that were figured called ringed Gidgee, very nice looing stuff. I also saw another name for the stuff and it was called Stinking Wattle or something like that and I had to laugh. Will all of the sap wood on the Gidgee fretboard be tapered off? I really like the look how it is, but I know much or all of it will be taken off in the taper. Anyhow, great stuff, keep the progress reports coming and more pics. J

Hey,

Yeah i will remove the sap wood.

I did like it at first but it stuffs up the fretboard binding, being white.

thanks for the reply.

Good Point about the binding, it wouldn't look good at all with white binding. I hadn't thought about that, it would have to remain completely unbound, unless you cut the edge off, slot, the glue then edge back on as binding, but even that would leave some visible line through that sapwood. Anyhow, it looks great, can't wait to see how it turns out. Best of luck. J

Edited by jmrentis

• 2 weeks later...

I like what I see in the pics Dean. Very pleasing on the eye, and that figured QLD maple will look killer too.

Thinking everything through makes the building process easier and definitely more enjoyable. :D

I still reckon you should inlay, maybe not that design though.

Think of something that is personal and means something to you.......

And how about an update ? Or you could just bring it over when you come by the workshop next :D

cheers, Stu

From an outside the outback view, I like the inlay and think it would look pretty cool. It might seem cheesy to you guys though, living there and all, but I think it does tie in the theme nicely. Most of the builds theme would be completely unknown to anyone that is not completely familiar with the lumber and that inlay is a starting point for discovering the theme, at least in my opinion. I would say change it immediately if it was something like a Kangaroo or Koala bear or a shrimp on the BBQ because that would be a cheesy stereotype inlay. It would be like me as an American inlaying a cheeseburger on my guitar, hmmm. Anyhow, I cannot wait to see some progress pics on this build, of all the projects I think I am looking forward to seeing this one finished the most. I think it is going to be freakin awesome mate, I mean, man. J

Edited by jmrentis

• 3 weeks later...
Before I start showing of, I must say thanks to Stu "oz tradie" who has really helped out alot. Top bloke! :D

Some new pics.

one layer at time...

headsotckbindedth8.jpg

First layer

CLICK

Another close up.

CLICK

Thanks for the shoutout , Deano

To be truthful, all I've done is bounce your ideas straight back at you, so, It's your own design and work on show. B)

( I got to see Deano's design portfolio for this build (School project) when he dropped it around last Sunday, and there is a lot of great ideas going on in that brain of his.)

How about a bit of info on how you did it . etc....glue method, timbers used, la-di-da............

Not even I've been privvy to these details yet.

All in all a very nicely executed binding/purfling around the headplate. very nice indeed. :D

cheers, Stu

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

I have nearly finished my neck. An I'm not really happy with the final result. The binding is great, but I don't like the fretwork. I have tried to make the fret join invisible by hiding the tang behind the binding, but in a few places it seems to be popping up. I didn't use glue, because I thought if I stuff it up, it would be easier to pull out and start again. I have realised now that is not the case..

Any suggestions on how I can solve the raising of the frets?. Should have I used glue?.

Any ways, here are some pics!.

fretboarddone2vz1.jpg

No frets

Also, I went down to my local timber yard to have a look around. (No buying intended)

And I came home with this: Click here.

4.4 meters of fiddle back Blackwood and 2.8 meters of AWESOME Birdseye....

Cheers Guys..

Deano

have you got any small clamps, if so see if they will clamp down with LIGHT pressure - if you can get them in place with light pressure you can then run some thin superglue under the end and keep it clamped for a while

that blackwood looks excellent

Who is your local timber yard, Deano? That's a great find.

Brian. :D

Mathews' Timber in Vermont, Brian.

Aprilethereal666 was there just a matter of hours beforehand ,looking through the pile.

And I was 3 days previous to that. Looking at Qld walnut though.

On occasions like this I'd like to think the timber chooses who it wants to take it home.

It's either that or come to terms with the fact I sort through the pile with my eyes closed.

Deano brought a small offcut over to my place that night and the figure is absolutely stunning.

Lucky bugger !!!!! :D

Nice work Deano. You burn the midnight lamp Thursday night?

cheers, Stu

Yep, its all at Mathews, and it is not always their. Personally I don't think ill find any more fiddle back like that!

Anyways, I finished the neck pocket a second ago, here are some pictures...

neckpocketcutcf8.jpg

Click

Click

How snug must the neck fit in the pocket?.

A little bit of movement?.

Or none at all.. Because mine is a tight squeeze..

Deano