Saddle Positioning For Bridge Placement

I'm getting close to the point where i'll be positioning my bridge and drilling holes for its placement. Alas, Stew Mac doesn't have mounting hole placement for my bridge, otherwise this would not need to be asked. But either way this would be good information to be certain about.

I've searched for this information, and what i've found is really a variety of opinions. Some say that the saddles should be moved all the way forward when placing the bridge, some say 3/4 of the way forward, and others say 1/2 way forward. Obviously each method has worked for somebody. Having the saddles all the way forward just doesn't sound like a good idea to me, just in case there is a small error in the placement of the bridge, but of course I could very well be wrong. :D

In any case, since opinions on this seem to vary, I was hoping to hear from some of the more experienced guys with regards to where they place the saddles when determining bridge position.

Having the saddles all the way forward just doesn't sound like a good idea to me, just in case there is a small error in the placement of the bridge, but of course I could very well be wrong. :D

exactly... in theory you can do it all the way foward because the saddle should never need to go forward of the scale length. 3/4 is safer because you might just make a small error somewhere and need the safety net

Moving them pretty much 3/4 forward and placing from there seems sensible to me. You won't generally end up moving the saddles any closer to the nut unless - as you say - you misplace the bridge! Tune-o-matics need a bit more babying though - anyone got a good potted explanation before I start babbling? :-D

Drilling so that you have "1mm of wiggle room" requires the exact same amount of accuracy as drilling so that the high e is forward. :D But ultimately, you have to do what gives you confidence and makes you happy, regardless of logic.