why was the thread about logos locked? i thought it sounded like an interesting and important debate. nobody was fighting and i think a lot of good points were made...

i also remember being upset when somebody's thread was locked who asked what people thought about changing the picture posting rules...

i feel like this sort of debate is a really valuable thing for any community and should not be locked by a moderator without more reason.

but then again, maybe i'm missing something huge?

edit: yeah, okay, so i saw the thread in solidbody that's the same thing. and i still feel sort of silly now. but still

Edited by Jalien21

Yeah, it's when I started educating everyone using dinosaurs that things got out of control. Seriously though - it's a topic that will always be controversial, and all debating it endlessly to no real gain will result in is well...no gain...

There's only one Brent Spiner, man.

Personally I come to a guitar building site for guitar building not to debate. They have debate forums for that kind of stuff.

They DO? Man, that'd be fun. Know of any good ones?

i'm not talking debate like, political debate... i mean like, talking and debating about guitar-building-related topics like if it's cool to use a company's logo on a build or more importantly, the rules that this community works under.

and i don't really know what you're talking about, Prostheta, with the dinosaurs.

i was in a dinosaur-themed metal band last semester. it was really killer. we painted our guitars with all these sweet dinosaurs. and i made a boost-fuzz pedal that i painted with dinosaurs on it too. and we made meteors out of huge 42-inch beach balls and threw them into the audience during one of our songs. so much fun.

Sorry to continue the logo debate as this is a topic on why threads get locked, but people can make personal instrument with logos all they want but showing them on here and mentioning they are on or have been on sale endangers this board.

As for debate - legal teams wouldn't care if we debated the legality of people's instruments using trademarked logos, they would just care about the logos. The debate would just serve to bring attention to this activity and possibly make the board look complicit by association. I agree with admin for taking a cut and dry standpoint on this issue for the sake of the boards legal position.

Oh Jalien - the dinosaur thing was a reference to a webcomic which quite cleverly demonstrated that a copy is always going to be a copy no matter how well it's made, and will never be the real thing.

http://www.qwantz.com/index.pl?comic=883

Funny story. I was once in a metal-themed metal band. We wore black clothes, grew our hair out, and played fast. Worked out pretty well imo.

You stole my band "business model"....

I locked that thread because we have a pinned topic about it.No need to rehash it all here.Really,If you want to be heard on this subject ,you need to email or p.m. Brian.He is the one and only decider on board policies that heavy.His board,his stand.

If he gives the go ahead,I would be more than happy to slap down any and all infringements.Personally I despise false logos.

I have no problem with funny takeoffs(such as jehle's "jellycaster"),but a Fender or Gibson logo on a fake?That is just wrong,and excuse my french,but it takes a real poseur to think it is cool.

I have no problem with funny takeoffs(such as jehle's "jellycaster"),but a Fender or Gibson logo on a fake?That is just wrong,and excuse my french,but it takes a real poseur to think it is cool.

Oui, Oui! What's the purpose aside from deception, if you built something wouldn't you want credit anyhow(aside from the con artists)? Heck, I know I would want credit for the build.

Edited by jmrentis
Funny story. I was once in a metal-themed metal band. We wore black clothes, grew our hair out, and played fast. Worked out pretty well imo.

You stole my band "business model"....

Well that explains it. In my medal band we all wore unbuttoned shirts with huge lapels, hung big gold discs from our necks and played disco. I always wondered why we got run out at every gig.