Flying V Bridge Placement Question

If a GIbson flying V's scale length is 24 3/4... is that from the nut to the low E string saddle (thick string)? Or let me ask you this... how do I go about ensuring my bridge is mounted in the right spot? Cuz noticed last night how my low E string saddle has to be all the way forward for it to be 24 3/4, which means my bridge is sitting too far back about an 1/8 or so. Could someone give me a procedure or refer me to a tutorial?

Thanks,

Ken

sounds like you need to read a bit about compensation as well. The thicker strings need to be slightly longer than the 24 3/4" scale. The treble (thin string) is pretty much bang on 24 3/4" from the nut but the bass side is angled back around 1/8".

Briefly, compensation allows for the fact you are pressing strings against a fretboard, therefore bending them slightly making them sharp. making the string slightly longer compensates for this

It sounds like your bridge is in the proper place because it needs to be about 1/8" further back than the treble side.

DO you know how to set intonation? Compare the 12th fret note and 12th fret harmonic. You will probably find that the note is sharper than the harmonic and the saddle needs to be moved back (away from nut) untill they match. If the harmonic is sharper than the note then the saddle needs moving forward (towards the nut). You need to get them to match

sounds like you need to read a bit about compensation as well. The thicker strings need to be slightly longer than the 24 3/4" scale. The treble (thin string) is pretty much bang on 24 3/4" from the nut but the bass side is angled back around 1/8".

Briefly, compensation allows for the fact you are pressing strings against a fretboard, therefore bending them slightly making them sharp. making the string slightly longer compensates for this

It sounds like your bridge is in the proper place because it needs to be about 1/8" further back than the treble side.

DO you know how to set intonation? Compare the 12th fret note and 12th fret harmonic. You will probably find that the note is sharper than the harmonic and the saddle needs to be moved back (away from nut) untill they match. If the harmonic is sharper than the note then the saddle needs moving forward (towards the nut). You need to get them to match

Thanks guys,

I probably had it wrong where I thought you set the low E string saddle 24 3/4. So it seems actually its where the bridge high E string side mounting screw gets placed. I'll check tonight this dimension but its probably correct and I should get a new set of strings and intonate. I know how to intonate, got a peterson strobe etc... but I can't seem to solve this lack of sustain I got in the upper register frets. I tried low output p/u's, high output p/u's, thicker strings, new nut etc....

Ken

btw here's a pic of my rocking system! http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q131/Cr...KensPics050.jpg

Edited by MichiganBoySB