Binding Glue/cement?

Just wondering what to use for gluing binding. Stew Mac can't ship that Weld-On stuff to Canada so I'm looking for an alternative. The products I've found locally that look promising are Weldbond Universal Adhesive and LePage All-Purpose Household Adhesive. LePage also offers a few different contact cements. Any recommendations or comments?

Thanks,

T

Duco Cement is ok. Don't know if you can get it where you are or not. A hobby or model shop may have it. I use cyanoacrylate glue (CA = superglue). I'll bet you can find that. The tiny tubes are uneconomical so try to find the 2oz bottles.

Just wondering what to use for gluing binding. Stew Mac can't ship that Weld-On stuff to Canada so I'm looking for an alternative. The products I've found locally that look promising are Weldbond Universal Adhesive and LePage All-Purpose Household Adhesive. LePage also offers a few different contact cements. Any recommendations or comments?

Thanks,

T

I've always used white glue for that. and never had any problems. I just use a lot of tape, and a lots of pressure.

p15-u.jpg

just be careful not to use too much pressure and implode the guitar. (if it's a acoustic)

Any glue for acrylic should work OK as that is what Weld on cement is. I had the same problem trying to get Weld On 16 in New Zealand but found an Auckland company here through Goggle that sold it so was lucky. They were not aware you could glue plastics to wood with it.

I would recommend doing a Goggle search and you may find someone nearby sells the stuff.

What ever you do, test the glue you get on the binding and wood you're using. I had a plastic binding and it did not adhere to my wood with superglue. Ducco appears to be a brand name and I could not find it here as well. From web sites I found, Ducco seems to be some sort of modelling cement. I looked around and bought a generic type of "household cement" at Walmart (in a blue package). I bought this stuff because down in the caution statements, it listed "acetone" as an ingredient. Apparently you can make a plastic glue by disolving your plastic in acetone, so I reasoned that acetone is good to stick plastic by slightly disolving it. This glue worked great for me, but as I said, do a test first.