All Most Finished Project

This is the almost completed project which has so far taken about 18months. It was originally inspired when I found a number of Mahogany Blanks in my wifes grandfathers workshop (after he'd past away). I had alway's loved the simplicity of the LP Jr, but being a lefty, the choices of guitar open to me was relatively limited. Therefore the guitar style was chosen.

As this was to be my first ever project, I started off purchasing a very useful book; 'Make Your Own Electric Guitar'

by Melvyn Hiscock.

Soon the project was off-and-run...ning..

image004.jpg

and finally after 18 months the Beast in all its glory.

Picture009.jpg

Picture014.jpg

Picture018.jpg

I was amazed at the final look, balance and tone of the finished guitar - better than I originally imaged. Just got to finish the wiring this weekend and jobs a good'n.

(P.S. Thanks for all the help Dad..)

very nice indeed!

The only thing that I would have done different is to put a solid finish or deep stain on it. The wood's very pretty but for a multi-piece body like that I'd prefer to cover it & IMO the scratchplate would have worked better with a colour....maybe cream, TV yellow or a deep cherry red stain. Just personal preference, still a very nice guitar :D

I do like LP Jnr's, i like the natural mahogany body even if it is multi-piece.

The bridge angle looks steep and the pickup looks a little far away - although i am sure the sound will be more versatile where you have placed it. It also looks a little strange because the controls are on an angle but thats ok - just not what i am used to.

It looks like it should sound great!

I like it a lot. The natural finish was definitely the way to go. All the work looks very smooth and clean.

3 questions:

What is the finish? Nitrocell Laquer...with just enough coats to give a satin finish (rather than the trad. high gloss look).

Is it the angle of the photo, or is the pickup a bit off-center? Yes the pickup is currently very slightly off centre, but there is a little bit of adjustment within the pick-up recess in the body to hopefully centralise it a bit more...

Did you make the neck? Yes - using the same Mahogany as the body (neck profile similar to my LP Custom), all except for the fretboard which is actually a strat scale rosewood finger board which was pre cut for the frets - the position the the Wrap-over bridge was adjusted to a Fender Strat scale...The book i mentioned before ('Make Your Own Electric Guitar' by Melvyn Hiscock) was very useful as there is a whole section which tabulates the scales and spacings of the frets of most all types of Electric Guitar.

Excellent! I hope my first project turns out as well. I love the natural color; don't care about the multi piece body. I probably would have put the pickup slightly closer to the bridge, but that's me. I would like to know if you think the strat scale changes the tone from what you would hear from the traditional scale.??

By the way, how thick is the body?

Edited by Stolysmaster

Excellent! I hope my first project turns out as well. I love the natural color; don't care about the multi piece body. I probably would have put the pickup slightly closer to the bridge, but that's me. I would like to know if you think the strat scale changes the tone from what you would hear from the traditional scale.?? Without being plugged in the guitar has great tonal and resonance when played, so fingers crossed when I've finished the electrics!!!

By the way, how thick is the body? The body is 46mm Thick (and for all those still working in imperial measurements - thats 1" 13/16)

Looks nice and simple! The bridge has a lot of unnecessary angle. You can bring the bass side up a notch and re intonate, from the look of your saddles you should be fine. I think that the hole position was off a little bit, like too short from the scal and you are compensating by taking the bridge way far back...

Congrats for joining the LP Jr club, You have done a great job for a first attempt , I don't mind the finnish and scratch plate in fact they look suited to each other.

There is an issue with the bridge as maiden pointed out , Once fixed I think that the pickup wont look so far away.I am not a big fan of badass bridges as they look like they could mame you. Try a standard fixed intonated wrap around , if the intonation is close it would tidy it up a bit.

We always can look back on our first attempt and see where we could improve and yours IMHO has less than most. Cheers

I like it a lot. The natural finish was definitely the way to go. All the work looks very smooth and clean.

3 questions:

What is the finish?

Is it the angle of the photo, or is the pickup a bit off-center?

Did you make the neck?

Thanks, I like the natural look too.

I'll correct Matt if I may, the finish is actually 3 coats of Ronseal Satin Polyurethane varnish, (clear) applied with a model makers airbrush and hand flatted between each coat. It's tough and fairly scratch proof.

I can assure you that the centre of the pick up is exacty over the centreline if the guitar.

Yes, but not the fretboard

Matt's dad