Question On Building A Neck Thru

if the center of the body and the end of the neck are the same heighth according to the book i have and basses i have seen the neck has to be angled down for the proper string heigth etc. but what if the center of the body is taken down in heigth so the bridge rests lower than the neck end . can the neck be straight and not anlged down and things will work right?

It all depends on your hardware and/or how you use it. A strat-style guitar typically has no neck angle. So if you use a strat-style bridge (even if it's a hardtail rather than a trem) you can do it. Tune-O-Matics a la Les Paul etc., generally require a neck angle. However, by recessing ("sinking in") the bridge into the body a bit, you can also have no neck angle. That's how Godin and many other manufacturers do their TOM-equipped guitars.

What did you have in mind?

Greg

+1

It is not complicated at all. You simply have a bridge that is a certain height. Your strings can go no lower than the top of the frets. So the height of your fretboard and frets must be comperable to the bridge. If your bridge is taller then you can either recess it or add a little angle to compensate.

peace,Rich

How difficult is it to cut a 3 degree plane across that large an area?
I can't see any difficulty in this part at all. Pull out your favourite no.5 plane and do what it does best.

Ive always wondered exactly how you would put a neck angle on a neck thru

This, I'm curious about also. i.e. body or neck gets the angle planed in.

Q/Sawn timber preferred for a thru neck (IMO). Which end do you plane out to the neck angle?

Leave the body section untouched and attack the neck area for your angle? Or vice versa?

I'm not too sure which would be preferred. :D

cheers, Stu

yes, my main question about this is for one with a bolt on the neck rests 1/8th above the body and the fretboard is another 1/4". but on neck thru its lower and you have to lower the bridge area by angling the neck section a bit so the action will be right. well i just figure why not build it to the same specs as a bolt on so there is no need for the angle.

How difficult is it to cut a 3 degree plane across that large an area?
I can't see any difficulty in this part at all. Pull out your favourite no.5 plane and do what it does best.

Ive always wondered exactly how you would put a neck angle on a neck thru
This, I'm curious about also. i.e. body or neck gets the angle planed in.

Q/Sawn timber preferred for a thru neck (IMO). Which end do you plane out to the neck angle?

Leave the body section untouched and attack the neck area for your angle? Or vice versa?

I'm not too sure which would be preferred. :D

cheers, Stu

for the angle i draw my lines, cut off most of the bulk with a band saw(in the body side), then i glued the wings on acorrding to the lines i drew, then i get out the hand plane and make it flush wiht the two body wings. heres an pic of how i cut my neck blanks with out a scarf.

untitled.jpg