Double Action Truss Rod channel?

hello

can someone tell me how the truss rod channel for a double action trus rod is done? [i know the channel it is done with a router, i am asking which way it is done ;) ]

is it done where there is a wider channel for the nuts so they can fit, and a smaller channel where the rods go through - so it can be tighten together or stretched. isn't this the way a single action truss rod works?

or is it just a channel where it routed all the same width so the truss rod simply sits inside the neck. thanx.

Page.

First off, I'm assuming your talking about the Stew-Mac Hot Rod Truss which is routed out straight. You'll cut out a .225" width x 7/16" deep channel down the middle of your neck. First off mark a center line in the middle of the neck top. You should have your neck marked out real good on the wood first: headstock angle, nut, neck taper, etc. etc. The reason for this is because you'll lose your center line after you route, which in turn will make it harder to mark later on. After you've marked your whole neck out, which should take some time if you do it right, place the truss rod on the side of the neck blank where the top of the truss rod is flush with the neck blank top. Make sure the adjustment, which on mine was a allen head, is down and not up and move the truss rod until you get it where there is no way it will stick out of the headstock after it's cut. Personally, I made sure it was closer to being under the nut than headstock. Now mark the end of the truss rod about 1/4" past it, which will leave some room for the ends of the rods to move. Now make a line across the top of the fretboard also at that same location, and route out the channel all the way down to that point. It's much easier to use a table top router to do this and make multiple passes to get the depth of 7/16". Hope this helps. I'll have pictures of this before long on my web site..

Good Luck

Matt

I'm about to do this right now.... :D Just waiting for the glue to set under the piccy of the headstock I stuck on.

Page Master, if you mean the Hot-Rod from Stewmac, as Guitar Frenzy said, it's actually very easy compared to other truss rods which require cavities with curved bottoms to them.

Bear in mind, however that, as I recently found out, Stewmac will expect you to buy their own special $20 router bit to cut the channel. So if you're only doing it once this will turn a $17 odd truss rod into a $37 odd truss rod without postage. I am going out making my channel in a slightly different fashion, I'll let you know how I get along.

Best wishes,

John

ok then!

thanx for the replies dude, it really helps. i have my wood. i still have to glue them together as it is a 3 piece neck. i am just doing my home work before i do the wrong thing.

and yes, i am talking about the hot-rod truss rods as well (i should have mentioned it first, but you people are so smart, i don't need too. :D ) i have heard good things about them. besides, in Aus a double action Truss rod cost AU$40. and i don't even know what brand that is. Cheerz!

Page.