Squier Tele Bridge Mod... Your Thoughts Please!

Hi Folks!

Starting a bit of a manic project on a Squier Affinity Tele soon, looking for some advice on how to work round the bridge.

I'm putting in a Dually Red-Red Lace Sensor (humbucker sized) pickup in the bridge position. Obviously the stock bridge won't accomodate the pickup, so I'm considering a couple of options.

1. Replace the bridge completely with a seperate hardtail and humbucker ring.

2. Cut away the stock bridge's 'ashtray' to within 10mm or so of the saddles and add a humbucker ring.

The only reason I even ask is that I worry about the tension on the bridge and the position of the screws holding it in place if I cut it down... Am I likely to ruin the tuning stability, or worse yet loosen the bridge to the point it might (over time) come clean off?

On a side note, if I am replacing the bridge, does anyone know the correct string spacing on the Affinity Tele?

Thanks for your time everyone!

Chris

why not get a tele bridge with a humbucker hole already cut in?

Most humbuckers won't fit in a tele plate anyway --the ears are wider than the plate. Tele plates with humbuckers are wider (and longer? haven't measured mine) to accommodate the pickup.

Your idea to use a hardtail and a regular humbucker ring will work too.

If the gutiar is string through, then the bridger couldn't come off even if you didnt screw it down, the string pressurfe over the bridge will hold it in place. Look at Grestch and orther artop guitars, their bridges are floting bridges, not held on by anything but string tension

.... And those two poles....

It is true string tension hold DOWN the bridge but it does not hold it in place.

A floating bridge refers to a Floyd Rose-esque tremolo system in which it is free floating apart from the studs. The bridge you are talking about is called a "tuneomatic" referred to as "TOM"'s on this board.