Neck Pocket!

tim_ado

Hi i havnt found that many treads about routing neck pockets

and considering it a main job to get right and a hard one im guess

people should post info about routing it, past experiances of wat not to do and diagrams and stuff that would be cool

I was scared too and it ended up being simpler than I thought it would be.

I made an extremely rudimentary template with 1" thick oak, 3" wide and about 15" long.

The shape of the template ended up being sort of a double H with a tele pocket on one side a nd a strat on the other.

Clamped the contraption to the body and routed carefully,taking no more than 1/8 at a time.

Before I knew it I had a pocket that fit better than a few store-bought guitars I've owned.

There's neck pocket dimensions at stewmac.

Aharon

Edited by Aharon

I agree, it's all here if you look.....top-right of page, search

templates are good if you always have the same necks but I still prefer clamping the neck, clamping rails tight to the neck, removing neck & routing...that way you *should* have a route exactly the right size whatever neck you use.

I took my fender neck, traced the heel on a piece of plywood squared up, and cut it out with a band saw, cleaned it up to be nice.

then used a top bearing router bit and cut the shape to the depth I needed after 2 passes.

then I took the neck and pressed it into place. SUPER snug, I could lift the body of the guitar without screws or glue