Music School?

weaponepsilon

Alrighty, most of you who may have read my posts may realize that a) I am a bassist and b)played in bands. Well. I was in my thrash metal band that ended up slamming into a proverbial brick wall. I saw it coming and jumped ship. I ended up in this band and they were in a funk. They hadnt gigged in a while, needed a bassist, and needed a kick in the ass. Well after helping them reform and everything, I was told they did not want me as their bassist, rather, as their manager. I am touched by their honesty and understand the need for someone to take charge and direct them. I looked at my basses and though and think, "Did I do something wrong?" I start to strum them and put them down realizing that it's not only am I a totally different kind of bassist, I don't even "know" music. After a few weeks of down time, I begin to realize that once again my skills are starting to atrophe and I dont even sound like the confident bass man I used to be. Then I began to hear about one of those school of Rock places that opened up near me, and began to think about possibly picking up a class to rebuild my technique and pick up a few new skills. As I examined the admissions and enrollment page I ended up downloading a form. The form itself looks more like a credit card application than a school admission form. Well, I'm not sure about what I should do? Any ideas lads?

Taking a class and going to music school are different things. One lasts a semester, the other lasts years.

Taking a course is a great way to move yourself along the progression of learning, especially if you're self-taught. I'd say give it a shot, but if you do...commit yourself to attending, practicing and learning.

Taking a class and going to music school are different things. One lasts a semester, the other lasts years.

Taking a course is a great way to move yourself along the progression of learning, especially if you're self-taught. I'd say give it a shot, but if you do...commit yourself to attending, practicing and learning.

Well that particular school did have an attraction because the tuition was on a month to month basis. I am self taught, but there are some techniques that are hard to understand without someone showing you. I work two jobs, have a wife and kid, and I manage that band (which isn't as big as a commitment as one would think) plus all the other carp I do.

personally I wouldnt do the "school" Id find a specialized teacher. Someone who you can sit one on one with. And if you dont like the style, leave.

usually arround 15-25 a half hour, once a week.

I can honestly say that after 4 years without a teacher, the last year with one I have improved 10 fold.

Especially in the relm of understanding what the hell im doing and playing with others. before I was just playing songs and scales. Now I hardly ever play other people's songs anymore.(witch I need to do, because no one knows what blues song im jamming when Im doing it).

Some times it ends up us jamming for over a hour. Then He gives me a set of music or a tech. to practice at home. I come back and we work over my mistakes and polish up my playing.

Im faster to pick up music off the radio, and I can play pretty decent with others witch when all you do is play AC DC and SRV in your room can be hard to learn.