1st Carved To Build...prs Or Lp?

Hey folks,

so I'm starting to think about a first carved top build...and I'm kinda torn between either a PRS doublecut, PRS Singlecut and a LP.

Can you guys elaborate on the pros and cons, from a build point of view, of the above three guitars? Which is hardest-easiest? Any specific design elements that need to be in mind during the undertaking? Anything at all that would help the decision process is welcome.

Thanks guys!

-Frank

P.S. Sorry about the typo in the heading....Obviously I meant to say "Top" not "To"

Edited by strangegrey

Honestly, it's all pretty much equally hard/easy, although either of the singlecuts is probably slightly simpler than a doublecut (getting the horn carves right takes a little fiddly work to get exactly right, although it's certainly very do-able).

Build what you want to build. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the trad Les Paul shape, so that's out for me.

Well, thanks for the opinions guys...but I was more asking what you guys think from a building point of view....

what design has a better heel? easier to carve? etc...

I am partially leaning towards the PRS singlecut because the neck joint looks easier...no tennon has to be carved...well, not true...but the PRS tennon is simply an extention of the neck shape...

the LP, you have the tennon to worry about, making sure the neck angle on the body is perfect as the fretboard rests on it, etc...

The PRS, you can get away with a less than stellar neck angle built into the body....so long as the neck angle itself is correct...

I dunno....am I talking out of my arse here guys? or am I onto something?

-F

am I talking out of my arse here guys?

Well, sort of. Look, you have to build the guitar YOU want. So if you really want an LP, why build something else?

On the hand, there's no rule that says you have to build YOUR guitar exactly the way someone else builds their guitar. No reason you can't use a PRS style neck joint on your LP.

Because Gibson has also used a full-neck-width joint --on the LP Jr, on the Melody Maker, maybe on some of the Les Pauls too. And the fretboard doesn't have to rest on the surface either --in fact, I like it when that rises about the line of the body, think it looks better that way.

I just don't understand trying to build an exact copy of a guitar that already exists and is still in production.

On the hand, there's no rule that says you have to build YOUR guitar exactly the way someone else builds their guitar. No reason you can't use a PRS style neck joint on your LP.

Very good point, hadn't thought of that.

I just don't understand trying to build an exact copy of a guitar that already exists and is still in production.

I can give you an answer there...and it's not because I want a Les Paul and thought I would build one to get it. I already have a real paul here, so thats not the intent.

My opinion on this, and some can certainly disagree if they like doing it another way....But I like starting out and learning on a known entity. By building a Les Paul or a PRS copy, you end up learning the basics of building on a design thats proven and tested.

In this case, I've built a handful of bolt on guitars....but in this case, I've never built a set neck, carved top guitar...and that is the goal for me. I don't want to further confuse the effort by building a guitar that isn't something that's been done before....perhaps the second guitar will be unique...but this first guitar needs to be something I can relate to...

I equate it to amp building, something I've been doing for the past 4-5 years. My first 2 amps were clones....First one was a Carmen Ghia clone...and that particular amp was as close to a real Z as you can imagine. Every component I used were the same components I saw in all of the gut shots on the net. Even the amp case looks like a Z. I needed a point of reference. The next amp was a Z-28 clone. That amp is far from being a carbon copy of the production amp....with the skills I learned from the first amp, I set forth to build this new amp...and once I did, I modded it to my satisfaction. Third amp was an 18watt TMB. That amp is unlike any 18watt out there...I've modded the crap out of it...and it is only an 18watt TMB in basic framework...the amp is very much my own thing. My latest amp was loosely based on the JCM800...but it sounds and looks nothing like one.....the design is more my own than marshalls....

In the above sequence, I slowly grew more independant of actual designs, when I got more confident in my abilities...

With this carved top set neck guitar...I need some hand holding...I need something to relate to while I build....this'll give me the ability/confidence to strike out on my own down the line...

hope that clarifies...

-Frank

Edited by strangegrey

I dunno; I don't see the point to replicating a classic design, because they've all got strengths and weaknesses, and construction methods have varied hugely within one model of one brand. So, go ahead, use a PRS-style neck joint in a Les Paul. Not really going to make much of a difference to your understanding of the instrument, IMO.