Wiring Supplies

Off He Goes

I think im using 15 guage(car wiring leftovers). but my pickups are the thinest wire Ive ever seen.

as far as solder, I use whatever radio shack had on the wall.

guitar wiring is super simple. especially because its passive.

im a bit **** about wiring though. Most of my stuff ends up in sheilded looms or labled tape.

Use whatever is most comfortable for you - there is no audible difference between 26 AWG and 10 AWG Romex (not recommended, for obvious reasons), nor is there any between stranded and solid hookup wire for our purposes. As for solder, 63/37 rosin core is the easiest to use, unless you're in the EU, California or some other "enlightened" jurisdiction, in which case you'll be forced by law to use lead-free solder, which I have no love for and very little experience with - never use plumbing (acid core) solder (instant corrosion!), or jeweler's silver solder (if you do manage to get it to flow, you'll have cooked your pots and caps, more than likely).

for quite a while there was a multi-media company next door to my shop. they installed video and sound systems for business, recording studios, security systems etc. when they moved they practically filled a dumpster with left over wire...tons of wire..wire for days. i scrounged most of it. after weeding out the aluminum i was left with a lifetime supply of small gauge, multi strand wire with all kinds of entertaining colors on the insulation. if you ever work on a guitar with purple and pink wiring i probably installed them. :D