Through Neck Sg

Umm. Hate to say this, but don't you need someway to lay a cover over your control cavity? usually they curve in and out, so that the cover rests on top, flush with the surface, then screwed in, from your picture it looks like that may have been overlooked. you could glue in some pieces, and that might work. but otherwise, it looks good! definitely much cleaner routs than mine! mine are too horrible to post. (First time) :D

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Umm. Hate to say this, but don't you need someway to lay a cover over your control cavity? usually they curve in and out, so that the cover rests on top, flush with the surface, then screwed in, from your picture it looks like that may have been overlooked. you could glue in some pieces, and that might work. but otherwise, it looks good! definitely much cleaner routs than mine! mine are too horrible to post. (First time) :D

yup, im actually going to be doing that today. when i posted those pictures i did not have time to do the overhang for the cover. i just need to route that, and then route the tailpiece area a little bit and im done with that stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

knobs.JPG

I decided to make my own knobs instead of using the ones I bought from Stew Mac. The knobs are made out of aluminum stock that I had left over from another project. I turned them on a lathe to the proper diameter, knurled the sides, cut a 45 degree angle into the top/sides, sandblasted the top, and then faced off the top to removed the sandblasted top surface and leave just the angle sandblasted.

%7Boption%7D

I decided to make my own knobs instead of using the ones I bought from Stew Mac. The knobs are made out of aluminum stock that I had left over from another project. I turned them on a lathe to the proper diameter, knurled the sides, cut a 45 degree angle into the top/sides, sandblasted the top, and then faced off the top to removed the sandblasted top surface and leave just the angle sandblasted.

That is very cool. I wish I had the skills/tools to work with metal.

thanks for the compliments

i plan on redoing the knobs because the hole for the pot shaft is just a bit off center for each knob, and it is also a little to big (oops). when i get around to making the new ones i will drill the hole all the way through on a lathe to make sure it is perfectly centered and then cap the top off with some abilone dot inlays from stew mac. the reason the holes were off center is because i drilled them on a drill press. no worries, they didnt take long to make

MMMMMMMM, i love metal knobs with some abalone center. Try to get the "eye" that's on the abalone, that part it's amazing!

BTW any update?

basically all i have to do is sand sand sand and then spray the stain on. this week im on spring break so i left the guitar at school, and the week before i had infinity work due and exams, so the week after this one, and the following week should bring some updates.

Everybody and their brother told it, but this looks great! Very nice wood as well.

I'm still in the planning phase of my first project (an SG as well, but with a glued and angled neck). And a question comes to mind.. Where did you get the template? I drew mine on paper and am not so sure about how well I'll be able to transfer it on mahogany.

And one last time : That's one beautifull instrument!

Everybody and their brother told it, but this looks great! Very nice wood as well.

I'm still in the planning phase of my first project (an SG as well, but with a glued and angled neck). And a question comes to mind.. Where did you get the template? I drew mine on paper and am not so sure about how well I'll be able to transfer it on mahogany.

i drew the shape i wanted in solidworks, converted the file to a .DWG, and then used the laser cutter at my school to cut it out. if you dont have any cad programs you may want to look for some plans online.

thanks for the compliments!

Just a little hint for transfering the pattern - I'm no expert, but this worked great for me:

Since you already have it drawn out on paper (I'm assuming it's to scale), just put two-sided tape on the back of it and tape it to your wood. Leave it on and then just use a scrollsaw or bandsaw or whatever to cut out the outline. Make sure you leave a little extra material on the outside of the line so you can sand out any imperfections. I think this is an easy way to cut out a body without a template and router.

• 3 weeks later...

stain.JPG

Here is where the guitar stands as of today. Over the past week I have been sanding nonstop using 60, 100, 150, 220, and 320 grit paper. After that

I used black grain filler to bring out the pours in the mahogany when the stain goes on. It went on easy, but took hours to sand off with 220 grit and 320 grit to keep the sanding even. Hopefully it will pay off in the end. Right now I stained the guitar using Stew Mac water based cherry red stain mixed 9 parts water to 1 part stain. The finish I am going for is more of a deep wine red, however this looks more like a neon orange right now, and my camera and the combined terrible lighting don't really show the actual color too well. The stain looks somewhat uneven in the pictures, but thats not the case. Later today I am going to be spraying on a mixture of laquer and stain, which will give me that look after several coats over the next week or two (hopefully). I didn't bother staining or cleaning up the pickup and bridge cavities since those will be covered by parts.

Looking good.

I think for the color your going for you may be better off trying stew macs "Mahogany Red" stain instead of the "Cherry Red" you're using. Or maybe a mixture of both. I'm thinking that maybe the cherry alone may be too bright a red for what you're going for. I recently did a finish that started with mahogany red and then I applied the cherry red on top of that and I ended up with something close to the wine red color I beleive you're going for. Though mine was done on Swamp Ash which is lighter in color than the Mahogany you're using.

I may be wrong though, i'm no finishing expert. Maybe somebody with more experience staining mahogany for that particular color will chime in here as well.

Anyway, hope all turns out well, good luck.

Looking good.

I think for the color your going for you may be better off trying stew macs "Mahogany Red" stain instead of the "Cherry Red" you're using. Or maybe a mixture of both. I'm thinking that maybe the cherry alone may be too bright a red for what you're going for. I recently did a finish that started with mahogany red and then I applied the cherry red on top of that and I ended up with something close to the wine red color I beleive you're going for. Though mine was done on Swamp Ash which is lighter in color than the Mahogany you're using.

I may be wrong though, i'm no finishing expert. Maybe somebody with more experience staining mahogany for that particular color will chime in here as well.

Anyway, hope all turns out well, good luck.

In retrospect the mahogany red would have been a better choice, I agree. I'm not too worried though, because as long as the finish looks good, not matter the color I will be happy with the guitar.

in my experience cherry is by no means a simple colour to get, though much like BRG there is no definative cherry red stain. I used a dark red alcohol based stain on my SG. which went from a nasty greyish mahogany colour (it was 30 years old a beaten to death, looks killer now after I gave it some work) to a fabulous colour. I'll post the pics later as photobucket is playing up...

really like the look of this SG, like to see it when the finish is on!

in my experience cherry is by no means a simple colour to get, though much like BRG there is no definative cherry red stain. I used a dark red alcohol based stain on my SG. which went from a nasty greyish mahogany colour (it was 30 years old a beaten to death, looks killer now after I gave it some work) to a fabulous colour. I'll post the pics later as photobucket is playing up...

really like the look of this SG, like to see it when the finish is on!

id love to see it.

i got 4 coats of laquer/stain sprayed on yesterday. later this weekend i will take some pictures and post them. the finish darkened quite a bit, but it still isnt quite what i was intending, however it looks unique. the mahogany is heading in the right direction for color, but the maple looks almost neon orange.