Progress...

Rowdy

Found nitro-cellulose in aresol, bought 2 cans. Made by DEFT. Seems to be a very quality project.

Also bought a qt of DEFT lacquer sander sealer. I did the wetting the wood, knocking off the raised grain before I sealed it. THe sealer I got is also sandable (very easy to sand), and dries blazing fast, and pretty good stuff.

As I stated the whole thing is white Korina. Im going to attempt my first one as a sunburst even tho others recommend a solid color for the first go.. I think I can pull it off, as everything is going so well so far.

i needed an Amber hue. Couldnt find one. i had "golden oak" stain, that I hit it with, then afterwards mixed up a simple red food coloring hue for an orange tint (amber).. the neck came out to a vintage hue perfectly!

I don't know if I could even get that mix again so luck was on my side.

Anyhoo,

here it is after 1 coat of sealer

stain%20003.jpg

and here it is after 2 more coats (sanding 'tween each) of sealer, which darkend it up a bit..

My Webpage

Gonna attempt the black burst poormans method...

what a weird, middle of the road decision...

rowdy, can you shed some light?

HAHA sure.. it's a neckthru, custom thats body is based on a '62 strat, solid Korina...

It was originally designed to use w/o a pickguard, thus the rear cavity, but Im using a pickguard with 3 toggles on it (in phase, Out of phase, and OFF) to each of the 3 texas special pickups... its a Korina with a maple neck, med jumbo frets, tele style jack.....

The routing you see there , the poster above got it right. it was desinged to use w/o a pickguard, but I like pickguards, thus the rear cavity.... also, I thought about seeing if I could "plug" the rear cavity and route for standard strat, but instead, Im adding some things in the electonics... a push/pull pot and a built in "overdrive", as well as Graphtech piezo saddles for an accostic sound as a choice. In teh cavity, Im bracing it up like the innards of an accoustic, and leaving it chambered... I'll be running 2-9v circuits in there, 1 for the overdrive and 1 for the piezo saddles... so theres plenty of room w/o my having to route anything further.

so.. 62 copy, but a neckthru w some unconventional electronics going on...

the whole thing weighs 4 lbs as it is and has a heck of a ring when you tap it or knock the wood... very resonate.

Edited by Rowdy