3 Color Stain Help!

nyck8

Well I have a basswood RG7321 en route. I really don't like the gloss black boring finish so I think I should make it into a little project. Two things I love: bright colors and a million tung oil finish layers followed by steel wool to smoothen it out. This is what I want to do. Excuse the very bad photoshop job.

7621stain.jpg

I plan on angling the yellow up a little bit more so it's kinda like sunshine rays :D

Well here's the deal. I know where to get the colors I want, http://www.woodburst.com/Products.html

The dilemma I'm having is...Will the colors bleed over!?

I plan on just doing the top and leaving the sides and back natural(so far).

What I think I will do is mask off each section of color and stain them individually. How can I prevent bleedage?

I also plan on applying many coats of tung oil after the stains are applied. This is fine right?

why stains?

why not a laq or poly finish?

you want to see the wood right? just dye the finishes, and between each color, spray a clear coat. let it cure then do the next color(and tape the edges)

I dont see a way to avoid making a fuzzy line with stain..

I could be wrong, but thats what I would do.

Edited by Desopolis

why stains?

why not a laq or poly finish?

you want to see the wood right? just dye the finishes, and between each color, spray a clear coat. let it cure then do the next color(and tape the edges)

I dont see a way to avoid making a fuzzy line with stain..

I could be wrong, but thats what I would do.

I'm doing a stain because I don't have the equipment for a poly finish.

Test some of the Woodburst stain on a scrap piece before you buy all of it. I tested it once and the stain has nothing on dyes. I threw it out after one small test pass. Looks good for lincoln logs or toy wooden trains, but not my thing for guitars.

Peace,Rich

Did you apply more than one coats with the test? And there isn't a difference between dyes and stains is there?

In a nutshell, dyes seep into the wood while "stains" merely sit on top of the wood(at least compared to dyes). Dyes can yield a much deeper, richer appearence than stains if applied correctly.

Well I've seen a few stained guitars and I like the way they came out. Can dyes be applied the same way as stains? What kind of dye do you suggest for my application? I need bright vivid colors :]

Also, which would be better for 'minimal' bleeding?

Edited by nyck8

In a nutshell, dyes seep into the wood while "stains" merely sit on top of the wood(at least compared to dyes). Dyes can yield a much deeper, richer appearence than stains if applied correctly.

I don't know about this statement. I know that dyes are very strong, but you can make the stain strong too. And it all depends on the amount of liquid you use in the body that you will get into the wood or not.

I use stewmacs stains and they go deep into the wood, especially the first dark one before the sand back.

I don't know about this statement. I know that dyes are very strong, but you can make the stain strong too. And it all depends on the amount of liquid you use in the body that you will get into the wood or not.

I use stewmacs stains and they go deep into the wood, especially the first dark one before the sand back.

Stew mac doesn't have the colors I want! Maybe I could mix them, but I don't know about that, I'd end up spending the price of 4 colors when I'm only using 3.

Maiden, what stewmac sells as "stains" are actually dyes. True stains typically have a bit thicker consistency and come pre-diluted(I believe). What homedepot, and lowes etc. carries are stains.

Honestly, I am not a very experienced dyer, but I'm 99% confident I am correct about the stewmac "stains" being dyes.

peace,

russ

For anyone's edification, the whole 'stains vs. dyes vs. pigments' thing is spelled out in very fine detail (with illustrations) in the 'Understanding Wood Finishing' (Bob Flexner) book.

I think Gar is right on the money, StewMac sells anilyne dyes, not stains, and yes, stains (which I believe are basically pigments in solution anyway) do indeed just sit on top of the wood.

Buy the book. :D

It is my understanding that the pigments in dye are much finer than stains. This allows the dye to get in closer to the wood(deeper into the pours as opposed to setting settling higher on top of the wood). This allows the dye to get a deeper richer look. I am sure there are different grades of stain, and some may do better than others. That particular brand did not look good to me(thus my word of caution).

Peace,Rich