Bluesy Pick-ups

PNG123

Hello every body,

I have a Telestyle Guitar ready, but still have to get it some nice pups to spice it up.

I currently have a Fender Showmaster (SDuncs HH pickups) Which prodice a very warmish Rock sound (not a gibson sound), and a Yamaha Pacifica (yamaha pups s-s-h), this tries to imitate the traditional start tone, but doesn't get close, abit warmer than a strat but has more trebly sound than the Fender Showmster/

Now back to my question,

I want a proper blues sounding guitar which will give me a cross-sound between Jimi Hendrix, Gary Moore, and John Mayer. (and possibly even David Gilmour), that warmish blues sound you know..

So what pick-ups to you guys recommend?

(Have o fit a Tele remember)

Not to offend your sensibilities, but if you want a blues sound you should listen to some real blues guys. Go back in time. Find out who influenced your influences and listen to what they listened to. More than likely those guys were just playing stock or homebrewed stuff.

You don't want to hear it, but if you really want a blues sound, learn to play the blues. :D

You don't want to hear it, but if you really want a blues sound, learn to play the blues

Agreed. Not being harsh either, but the blues is in YOU, not in your pickups.

The blues have been played thru every cheap-ass sleazy low end guitar, amp, and pickups ever made, but any good bluesman can make it play blues no-problem-o. :D

you might go to dimarzio's site and check out their specs for their pups that will fit your guitar. they're very informative about outputs, tonal qualities, etc. they may even have short sound clips..

good luck with your project.

texas special for a tele

Rio grande [muy grande] for a strat. [ good srv sound]

I don't want to sound harsh either but you need to really feel the blues to get the point.

the blues in nothing but a good man feeling bad.

Jimi Hendrix, Gary they are different player I would say both awesome but Hendrix used a strat with single coil and Gary more a gibson las paul with humbuckers both sound great but diffent sounds.

look at how they play and they play like every show is there last.

doing everything they can with there guiitar to squeeze the life from there fingers to get there tone.

got pentatonic?

plus half step.

add a bunch of bends and totaly un needed slides and mutes..

no but seriously, I love SD stuff.

the hot coils in my strat are what got me into wanting to build my own guitar, if pickups alone could change so much...

VERY hot. but I definatly lost that bit of Strat vintage sound.

So I used a classic Single coil in the middle, and when I want higher hot tone I switch to just the hot coils, when I want a vitage/heat mix, I use both.

and for most rythm and clean leads I use a duckbucker in the bridge, although I get a gibsonesque tone from the Hot coil when clean. I bet a cold coil would do the same.

also the JB or 59 allways does well in a few friends rigs..

go to Seymour Duncans website and preview.

Edited by Desopolis

Now back to my question,

I want a proper blues sounding guitar which will give me a cross-sound between Jimi Hendrix, Gary Moore, and John Mayer. (and possibly even David Gilmour), that warmish blues sound you know..

Ok, back to your question. Hendrix played a Strat most of the time, Gary Moore plays a Les Paul most of the time, John Mayer plays a Strat most of the time (when he's not wanking on that First Act on the commercial), and Gilmour uses the EMGs. A Tele won't ever sound exactly like any of them, much less a combination.

That said, I like the Texas Special Tele set. OR, you could contact Curtis Novak, tell him what you're looking for, and he will tell you if he can wind it.

Now back to my question,

Ok, back to your question. Hendrix played a Strat most of the time, Gary Moore plays a Les Paul most of the time, John Mayer plays a Strat most of the time (when he's not wanking on that First Act on the commercial), and Gilmour uses the EMGs. A Tele won't ever sound exactly like any of them, much less a combination.

That said, I like the Texas Special Tele set. OR, you could contact Curtis Novak, tell him what you're looking for, and he will tell you if he can wind it.

Thanks guys,

I mentioned those artists because they are the sound i would like,

I cannot afford to just use this tele for blues,

I know that both Gilmour and Hendrix used strats (and Hendrix sometimes also used Flying-V) and that they alll have their individual tone.

Anyways,

I am between two minds wheter to go for Fender Noisless pups, Tex-mex /or Texas Specials.

I might opt for a Dimarzio but i think i would prefer the Fender sound.

Now back to my question,

Thanks guys,

I mentioned those artists because they are the sound i would like,

I cannot afford to just use this tele for blues,

I know that both Gilmour and Hendrix used strats (and Hendrix sometimes also used Flying-V) and that they alll have their individual tone.

Anyways,

I am between two minds wheter to go for Fender Noisless pups, Tex-mex /or Texas Specials.

I might opt for a Dimarzio but i think i would prefer the Fender sound.

Hi,

Another VERY useful set of pups for a "blues" sound in the tele is made by Jason lollar. Check those babies out. I've also used Harmonic Designs. Very rich, full sounds. Larry MacCray is using two of my builds with Harmonic Designs in them.

Peace,

Dave