What Finishes Work Together?

is it possible to give some guidelines on what finishes work together successfully?

As an example, I'd like to dye a guitar & then clear over it. I'm concerned that if I use a spirit based dye then use a nitro sealer it might cause the dye to run....then adding clear coats might make it worse?

sooo.....maybe someone could fill us in on how to layer finishes, eg. does nitro work over acrylic...does polyurethane react to latex etc?

sorry if this has been covered...maybe someone could point me in the right direction?

Buy the book 'Understanding Wood Finishes' by Bob Flexner.

All your questions will be answered there.

If you don't buy the book, you'll be left to grasp a nugget here, and kernel there, and it will take you a very long time to really understand the whole thing.

Buy the book, trust me here. :D

...Or don't buy it. :D

ooh goody...I like books, any excuse to buy books :D

...not quite the answer I was looking for but I really wish that most people would just say, "buy Melvin Hiscock's book" every time someone asks about neck angles

actually, any other books that I really should get regarding guitar building? I've got guitar electronics for musicians & Hiscock's book....I guess that one on finishing should suffice for now?

Edited by biliousfrog

It's like the Bible of finishing books, and a very enjoyable read also, formatted and chaptered in a very common sense way.

The only other thing I ever used really was the video series from Stew-Mac, 'Spray Finishing Basics' and 'Spray Finishing With Colors', which also helped me a lot.

That, and a LOT of trial and error, which yielded a feast for my W.O.D. :D

Times are getin' lean for the little fella lately tho... :D

It's like the Bible of finishing books, and a very enjoyable read also, formatted and chaptered in a very common sense way.

The only other thing I ever used really was the video series from Stew-Mac, 'Spray Finishing Basics' and 'Spray Finishing With Colors', which also helped me a lot.

That, and a LOT of trial and error, which yielded a feast for my W.O.D. :D

Times are getin' lean for the little fella lately tho... :D

I may have some for you.. im coming up on the finish stages and cringing..

• 4 months later...

Just got Flexner's book (from Amazon) and Drak is absolutly right, you must get this book if you do any kind of laquer, shellac, varnish staining etc. Its all in there and he explains it in a way that takes the voodoo out of finishing just about any type of wood. I can go on and on and on..... bottom line is everyone here should own a copy. Thanks again Drak, -Vinny

actually,it translates to "there is too much to explain,so buy the book that explains it all"

the flexner book is hundreds of pages,all packed with info about almost every finish or finishing problem you may encounter.

"trade secret"?not hardly...if you want to know the facts,you have to read the book.otherwise you are just working off of random hearsay

Go and get a book, is translated in english as a trade secret.

Well, id like steal the topic and ask does nitrolacquer fit with any of those oils. (danish, linseed, shellac.)

I´m just tryin to archieve 70`s vintage finish.

As far as your question about the Lacquer? IT will work over shellac.

mk

woah...forgot about this thread!

I got the book as a Xmas pressie & despite getting a ribbing for asking for such a boring present, it is very informative & answers a lot of questions regarding how different finishes work & whether they are compatible with each other.

....so, "go get a book" is hardly a trade secret, far from it...it's actually offering the answers to any question (almost) that you could ever want regarding finishing so that you don't clog up bandwidth on here asking a question every five minutes. I still have questions but they are very few as most of the answers can be found either in Melvyn's book, "wood finishes", "guitar electronics for musicians" or by searching here.

Search the forum for "neck angle" & see how many posts there are asking for how to calculate the neck angle. For people to ask the question they must have read somewhere about neck angles but they're most likely too lazy to work it out for themselves so they post on here. I'm not like that, or at least I try not to be. I look at the long-term, I crave knowledge on any subject & I want to improve my skills so I was very grateful for Drak's input. :D