Pedals Again!

cb06

ok, av got a toneworks/ korg ax1500g multi effects pedal. i find it hard to use/ to complicated, and sometimes cannot find the sound im looking for... SO im thinking about selling it and buyin the individual boss pedals, prob of ebay, lol. wat do you guys think about the toneworks 1 tht av gt. i was thinking of selling it to get some boss compact pedals because i dont really use that many effect just different distortions/ overdrives, chorus.........Wat do u think?? or are there any other pedals that i should think about getting??

chris :D:D

It depends on what kind of music you play and what kind of effect your looking for. Do you wan't reverb, distortion, chorus, flanger, delay, wah, volume etc etc.

If I we're you I'd play around for a long time on the korg and find out what kinds of effects you use most and start off with those.

I can't imagine buying stompboxes anymore, as a home-recording hobbyist and non-gigging musician. If I gigged, that might be another story. If I made money from recording, another story again. But for messing around at home, I have limitless "pedals" at my disposal in the virtual world, all for free, and many of them (not all, of course) better than similar stompbox versions.

Greg

toneworks/korg ax1500 and all other multi fx pedals may seem very overwhelming at first especially if you are new to pedals or more intimidating if you're still new into the guitar world.

i've found myself saying things like, "wth is 5150? wth is a Rectifier? so many friggin knobs and such a small screen."

i've had the Boss GT8 for about a year now and i can pretty much fly through all the controls and actually understand each of its functionality, but i still have hard time making the exact sounds i want. since the multi fx pedals take you to a broader range of sound, i'm trying to take advantage of that, but it's hard. but i know it'll come in time (of experience).

after i've used the Boss GT8 for few months, i tried out many multi-fx pedals, and they more or less work in the same concept.

the way i learned to use it is actually read off the manual. i know we're known as the 'never-read-manuals-i'll-work-it-out-by-myself' generation. but i needed the manual to start me off.

some people, even professionals, prefer the single boxes. some people prefer simplicity.

personally, if i were to satisfy myself with the sounds that i like, i would need about... 2 dist. - OD - 1 wah - EQ - phaser - delay - tuner - limiter/compressor - flanger... Anyways, the point is I probably spend more than the multi fx.

i tell ya, if you learn how to use it properly, you'll enjoy it more. just like everything.. (like Halo2, it's not fun having a 0-25 record, but it's pretty fun if it's more like 17-8)

*ahem

think it over, but really if single fxs suit you better, then so be it. =)

so basically use r sayin that i should try and b patient etc. trouble is av had it for a while, and still cant get the sounds iam lookin for. so was either thinking of the stompboxes or a didfferent type of multifx pedal...any suggestions??

godin i mainly use the things i said in first post. different distortians/overdrives. nice chorus, bit of delay.....nothing to much at all

I had a MT-2 and a OS-2 that got stolen..

its like 200-300 and has almost every boss pedal in it..

I was a bit skeptical of it untill I sat at GC and set up the pedals in loop and compared..

pretty damn close if not dead on..

I would first go in for a really nice distortion pedal of some sort, depending on what you play. I don't know what kind of money/commitment you want to put into this but the high-end stuff is totally worth it if you have the scratch.

What kind of music do you want to play and what kinds of tones are you going for here? It's kinda hard to point you in the right direction w/o knowing what you want to play.

I would first go in for a really nice distortion pedal of some sort, depending on what you play. I don't know what kind of money/commitment you want to put into this but the high-end stuff is totally worth it if you have the scratch.

What kind of music do you want to play and what kinds of tones are you going for here? It's kinda hard to point you in the right direction w/o knowing what you want to play.

Logical Frank. i mainly play rock.eg pink floyd, blues= hendrix..., like TRYIN sm satriani, metallica, maiden...pantera. so a wide range really, that is why buying indavidual stompboxes could be not worth it compared to multifx pedals. it just finding the right one. i had a look on the Line6 website, and there effects look really good! you can watch videos and stuff of them in action, if you want to check them out and tell me what you think. the first option (line6 wise) was to think about getting PODxt. but i would have to buy a floor pedal with that so it would be more practical. the other option and seems better for saving bit of money would be the PODxt live, which you will see it is a floor multifx pedal, but it looks and sounds good. i was also thinking about the cheaper than the other 2 option of the boss me-50. so im not sure yet. the money issue, it would be nice to get a good one for cheap, but iam sure i would be able to find the money some way.

chris

I don't really know about any of the PODs. Some of them sound great but, honestly, I'm not much of a digital guy at all. I work w/ computers all day so the last thing I ever want to see is another one in my guitar rig. :D

My best advice would be not to worry about any effects at all and find a guitar and amp (and maybe a distortion pedal) that sound great together and go from there. It's really easy to be distracted by effects, especially when you have twelve gazillion in one of those pedals. That said, there's a lot of cool stuff out there to be had but it's not necessarily cheap. It's a cliched bit of advice but all I can really tell you is to go to your favorite local music store and try out as much as they'll let you. I've found that I'm not a huge fan of the BOSS effects in general though there are a couple good ones (I like the Blues Driver). Some of the Electro-Harmonix are really cool but they tend to break (as do DOD and BOSS pedals).

• 2 weeks later...

I'd stick with it and learn it inside and out. i've been using a digitech GNX3 guitar workstation for a couple of years and I'm still earning new things on it. For a while I just used the factory presets, then started downloading user patches and now I'm into making my own amps and cabs. There are over 1000 user patches available. It also has a built in 8 track recorder and a drum machine, but I use my computer for recording. Does your unit do amp modeling?

Good luck in your choice.

Spike

I'd stick with it and learn it inside and out. i've been using a digitech GNX3 guitar workstation for a couple of years and I'm still earning new things on it. For a while I just used the factory presets, then started downloading user patches and now I'm into making my own amps and cabs. There are over 1000 user patches available. It also has a built in 8 track recorder and a drum machine, but I use my computer for recording. Does your unit do amp modeling?

Good luck in your choice.

Spike

it does plenty of cabinats but the main sounds ie overdrive n distortion + clean sounds are limited. that is the main reason i was thinking about changing. i have been looking round and have become interested in the podxt live. seen videos of it on youtube with people playin with it, and the sound is really nice. am still looking around tho.....

chris

Ivebeen using a Digitech RP6 for years as its a pretty good sounding unit

and while i only use two presets most of the time i still monkey with it

there is a lot of cool stuff ive come up with. makes me feel like Tom Morello

and i love to summon baluga whales with the whammy

Edited by spazzyone