3-wire Humbucker On Ibanez140 S/s/h

elfstone357

Hey, everyone. I have this '90 Ibanez EX140 which the previous owner wired wrong. I picked up a new 5-way switch and volume and tone pots and am ready to rewire. I have everything worked out EXCEPT the humbucker only has three wires, not the four I'm used to. Red, white, and a bare braided wire.

The Ibanez website doesn't have a diagram for this guitar, and I don't know exactly what kind of humbucker it is, as it has no markings on it at all.

I'm guessing that the bare is ground, and the red and white are separate hot wires. If that's the case, do I solder the red and white onto the same tab on the selector switch?

It's a standard S/S/H setup with 1 volume and 1 tone pot and I'd be done with it by now if it weren't for this 3-wire humbucker.

Thanks for any input.

Most likely two of the wires are from each coil and the third is the tap in the middle or where the two coils are connected. A quick use of DVM will let you know.

Sounds like it might be a Golden Age pickup, Stewmac special. Bare wire to ground (of course), red for full humbucking, ie. both coils, white for coil splitting.

Exactly.