Type Of Stain To Use On Back Of The Neck

::sigh:: I wish I knew what type of wood it was. This might be a long shot, but I'll take a pic of it and post it. It looks like it's maple, but it's an import (anyone ever heard of Suzuki making basses?). It's hard like maple is, and moderately heavy. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to tell you what type of maple it is. What if I were to do a few passes of stain? I have an oil-based stain (Minwax) that looks good on test pieces of a similar color wood. Here's a pic of the grain towards the headstock. There are a few dings in it, but this is the bare wood.

IMG00018.jpg

Edited by IronFlippy

Either water-based or alcohol-based anilyne dyes are what you're looking for, I would stay away from any oil-based stain unless you're finishing with an oil-based product over top, like Tru-Oil.

Not tru(sic) , tru oil over water based stain works better as the tru oil won,t pull the stain out.

Best result to yellow up the neck if you are going to spray lacquor is to add the stain to the clear lacquor.